Tech Committee Meeting Minutes 22 May 2013
Present: Bart Kawula (OCUL), Qinqin Lin (OCUL), Brian Gregg (Pitt), Jason Nugent (PKP), James MacGregor (PKP), Barbara Hui (CDL), Alec Smecher (PKP), Allan Bell (UBC)
Minutes: James (PKP)
New member introductions:
- Allan Bell (UBC), Director of Digital Initiatives at UBC
- Bronwen Sprout (UBC), Digital Initiatives Librarian for UBC
What have we all been working on PKP-wise?
- Barbara (CDL): working away on various OMP tasks.
- Brian (Pitt): still using 2.3.8 in production environment; evaluating 2.4.x, but haven't yet moved to it. Dealing with staff shortages.
- Qinqin (Scholar's Portal): Coming to the end of another internal project, which should free up some time.
- Alec (PKP): continuing to work on porting UI tools from OMP to OJS. Nearing first alpha release (in ~5 weeks). Also doing some work with OMP and our early adopters group.
- James (PKP): doing a lot of omp early developer organization, otherwise helping manage bugs.
- Jason (PKP): working on the porting of OMP elements to OJS. Working away.
At-large membership: discuss poll results; identify top choices; make a plan for inviting nominees.
- we have four top choices, one of whom may possibly be involved via other means.
- Is it worth inviting the individual, but asking them to nominate another member from their home institution if there's a better fit? We're really going for institutional access here.
- Alec to draft invitation letter.
3 volunteers from members committee - status?
- Haven't heard. Barbara or Alec will check with Brian.
Reviewing our mandate, cont'd. Charge #1: provide technical input and advice on PKP’s software development methodologies and priorities.
- Last time the group came to the consensus that PKP priorities and methodologies are unclear. We are working towards fixing this so that we can begin to give input.
- James - overview of what priorities/methodologies documentation is available. How does the new WP site fit in and what's the status?
- James gave an overview of the current documentation and priorities and documentations; information available in PKP Google Group.
- also gave an overview of the website migration and documentation projects.
New priorities-related document (thanks Alec et al): Software Milestones page needs review.
- Overall need for better documentation and organization/accessibility of information. Need for improving developer relations. How?
- Discuss which format to use (blog? wiki?) for organizing/storing documents (e.g. agendas, meeting minutes, documentation). See this Google group thread
- Google group
- problems voiced by some external members about using Google Groups from a policy/privacy perspective.
- technically, we're in a bit of a bind. SFU can't currently provide mailing lists that are also archivable. Brian and James will be following up with them about that.
- in the meantime, we'll continue using Google Groups.
- IRC? There is a #pkp channel on chat.freenode.net. Will renew our use of this group on a trial basis.
Next meeting: how about Tuesday 18 June, 9am
- We may invite our "new" invited members to attend as well.
- How do we feel about circulating minutes?
- Minutes to be circulated via Google Group, with a copy (possibly redacted where necessary) posted publicly to the wiki.