Difference between revisions of "Tech Committee Meeting Minutes 21 June 2018"

From PKP Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Quick Updates)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
== In Attendance ==
 
== In Attendance ==
 +
 +
AS CG SL DW KG MT JMCM
 +
 +
Notetaker: JM
  
 
== Quick Updates ==
 
== Quick Updates ==
Line 9: Line 13:
 
*** Dulip : solr for OMP-Frontend, OJS 3 test update
 
*** Dulip : solr for OMP-Frontend, OJS 3 test update
 
*** Alec
 
*** Alec
**** SQL Server (thanks to Laval). Side-effects: PHP warnings; ADODB update. Some thorny issues remain.
+
**** SQL Server (thanks to Laval). Side-effects (good ones): PHP warnings; ADODB update, now a composer dependency. Some thorny issues remain.
 
**** iThenticate plugin for OJS 3.x/OMP, to be released after upstream library merge: https://github.com/asmecher/plagiarism
 
**** iThenticate plugin for OJS 3.x/OMP, to be released after upstream library merge: https://github.com/asmecher/plagiarism
 
**** Document centric workflow experiment preview to be published soon
 
**** Document centric workflow experiment preview to be published soon
*** Chris: Two weeks “vacation”—training as a chanteyman at Mystic Seaport—then a week dealing with the summer cold I caught there. Turning attention back to clean PHP code.
+
*** James: documentation hub (beta coming soon); PKP|PS hosting priorities (see https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/issues?q=is%3Aopen+label%3AHosting+milestone%3A%22OJS%2FOMP+3.2%22 - 11 issues currently open).
*** Marco: thinking about translation workflow; updating de_DE translation of OJS/pkp-lib; communicating about documentation and translation
+
**** we'll need to establish a solution for stuff like minute-taking, agendas for the tech committee.  
 +
*** Clinton: cleaning up spam registrations from earlier this year. Using Akismet plugin and honeypot. 100s/day->less than a dozen per day. Plugin: https://github.com/ulsdevteam/pkp-akismet.
 +
*** Kenton: dusting off Objects for Review plugin.
 +
*** Marco: has started picking up work again. Has talked with Amanda about documentation and translation, and how we could pick up more translators. There are still major languages that don't have translations.
 +
 
 
* '''Question of the Month'''
 
* '''Question of the Month'''
 
** What do you think about the influence of big publishers (Scopus, Thomson...) in research and open knowledge and what must be the role of PKP in this scenario?
 
** What do you think about the influence of big publishers (Scopus, Thomson...) in research and open knowledge and what must be the role of PKP in this scenario?
*** Svantje: big publishers overcharge for oa publishing (https://www.projekt-deal.de/about-deal/), PKP (should) offer(s) good alternatives (http://jussieucall.org/) - for small and medium publishers (maybe stronger focus on publisher needs and not single journals).
+
*** Svantje: big overcharge for oa publishing (https://www.projekt-deal.de/about-deal/), PKP (should) offer(s) good alternatives (http://jussieucall.org/) - for small and medium publishers (maybe stronger focus on smaller/medium publisher needs and not single journals).
*** Marc: Large publishers and enterprises in the context of open knowledge are wolves in sheep's clothing. They are aware that there is a change in the academy and, therefore, they seek to project an image of tolerance and openess, but their only objective is the economic return. PKP has played a key role in the dissemination and construction of the concept of open knowledge and proved an alternative is possible. In my opinion, PKP must continue keeping this role as a lighthouse, offering functional and innovative alternatives that put the ecosystem in check.
+
  
 
== Release Progress ==
 
== Release Progress ==
Line 23: Line 30:
 
* OJS 3.1.1-2 / OMP 3.1.1-2 released to address some missing template escaping
 
* OJS 3.1.1-2 / OMP 3.1.1-2 released to address some missing template escaping
 
* Health Sciences and Bootstrap3 themes updated
 
* Health Sciences and Bootstrap3 themes updated
* Big OJS/OMP 3.2 merges:
 
** Multilingual author names / given/family names
 
** Smarty3 upgrade
 
  
 
== Translation ==
 
== Translation ==
  
 
* slow but steady translation progress
 
* slow but steady translation progress
* will need to recruit new translators for orphaned locales
+
* will need to recruit new translators for orphaned locales: need strategies.
 +
** up to date: spanish, catalan, german, russian, portuguese, french, scandinavian, turkey (relatively speaking)
 +
** out of date: all others, except for:
 +
** notoriously out-of-date or removed locales: Chinese, probably others
 
* focus right now on translation workflow and possible alternatives, e.g. using Transifex and hooking it up with GitHub
 
* focus right now on translation workflow and possible alternatives, e.g. using Transifex and hooking it up with GitHub
 +
** make the workflow easier for new and existing translators.
 +
** this should be a topic of consideration for the Heidelberg sprint.
 +
* Next fiscal year @ Pitt: there will be funding initiatives, including a possibility of funding a sprint that could be focused explicitly on international work / translations.
 +
* one option might be to move these files to a dedicated translator community (eg. rosetta). These folks translate firefox, libreoffice, etc.
 +
** Transifex will provide us with this kind of capability.
 +
** Will people who don't actively use our software step in to translate? Will this affect the quality of the software (eg. having translators without expertise in the subject matter)?
  
 
== Documentation ==
 
== Documentation ==
Line 38: Line 51:
  
 
== UI/UX ==
 
== UI/UX ==
 +
 +
NTR
  
 
== Other topics ==
 
== Other topics ==
  
 
* Microsoft acquiring GitHub
 
* Microsoft acquiring GitHub
 +
** dependency on SaaS in general (not just github but slack, hangouts, google mail, etc.) is a concern. Maybe a larger topic over the next month.
 +
** re: moving from github specifically: the worst issue would be moving away from the integrations (travis, etc.).
 +
** this is also a political/philosophical position as well.
 +
** proposal: start a working group to examine our use of SaaS and provide options for alternatives.
 +
*** AS will raise this with directors at next meeting, and bring it back to the tech committee.
 
* Update to [https://pkp.sfu.ca/about/organization/technical-committee/ Terms of Reference]
 
* Update to [https://pkp.sfu.ca/about/organization/technical-committee/ Terms of Reference]
 
* Question: OCS plans?
 
* Question: OCS plans?
 
* Import from Zotero/Citavi/etc.?
 
* Import from Zotero/Citavi/etc.?
 
* Where did the presentations of the conference go? https://conference.pkp.sfu.ca/index.php/pkp2017/
 
* Where did the presentations of the conference go? https://conference.pkp.sfu.ca/index.php/pkp2017/
* privacy changes for OJS 2 (e.g. checkbox for privacy statement)?
+
** We're migrating contents from an old server - redirects are currently a little broken, we're working on it.
* Service provider framework
+
* privacy changes for OJS 2 (checkbox for privacy statement)
  
 
== Next Meeting ==
 
== Next Meeting ==
  
 
July 19th, 8am Pacific
 
July 19th, 8am Pacific

Revision as of 08:59, 21 June 2018

In Attendance

AS CG SL DW KG MT JMCM

Notetaker: JM

Quick Updates

  • Question Every Month
    • What have you been working on lately?
      • Svantje: merging versioning in master branch (:/)
      • Kenton: Progress largely slowed down with holiday season kicking in. Still finishing remaining 2.x to 3.x OJS migrations. OER pilot using a variety of software options.
      • Marc: "rm -rf /" my laptop. Fixed php8VSmysql issues. Fixing docker4ojs. Setting translation journal. Meeting universities to work together (expectants about JATS and OJS3 migration).
      • Dulip : solr for OMP-Frontend, OJS 3 test update
      • Alec
        • SQL Server (thanks to Laval). Side-effects (good ones): PHP warnings; ADODB update, now a composer dependency. Some thorny issues remain.
        • iThenticate plugin for OJS 3.x/OMP, to be released after upstream library merge: https://github.com/asmecher/plagiarism
        • Document centric workflow experiment preview to be published soon
      • James: documentation hub (beta coming soon); PKP|PS hosting priorities (see https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/issues?q=is%3Aopen+label%3AHosting+milestone%3A%22OJS%2FOMP+3.2%22 - 11 issues currently open).
        • we'll need to establish a solution for stuff like minute-taking, agendas for the tech committee.
      • Clinton: cleaning up spam registrations from earlier this year. Using Akismet plugin and honeypot. 100s/day->less than a dozen per day. Plugin: https://github.com/ulsdevteam/pkp-akismet.
      • Kenton: dusting off Objects for Review plugin.
      • Marco: has started picking up work again. Has talked with Amanda about documentation and translation, and how we could pick up more translators. There are still major languages that don't have translations.
  • Question of the Month
    • What do you think about the influence of big publishers (Scopus, Thomson...) in research and open knowledge and what must be the role of PKP in this scenario?

Release Progress

  • OJS 3.1.1-2 / OMP 3.1.1-2 released to address some missing template escaping
  • Health Sciences and Bootstrap3 themes updated

Translation

  • slow but steady translation progress
  • will need to recruit new translators for orphaned locales: need strategies.
    • up to date: spanish, catalan, german, russian, portuguese, french, scandinavian, turkey (relatively speaking)
    • out of date: all others, except for:
    • notoriously out-of-date or removed locales: Chinese, probably others
  • focus right now on translation workflow and possible alternatives, e.g. using Transifex and hooking it up with GitHub
    • make the workflow easier for new and existing translators.
    • this should be a topic of consideration for the Heidelberg sprint.
  • Next fiscal year @ Pitt: there will be funding initiatives, including a possibility of funding a sprint that could be focused explicitly on international work / translations.
  • one option might be to move these files to a dedicated translator community (eg. rosetta). These folks translate firefox, libreoffice, etc.
    • Transifex will provide us with this kind of capability.
    • Will people who don't actively use our software step in to translate? Will this affect the quality of the software (eg. having translators without expertise in the subject matter)?

Documentation

  • More gitbooks unpleasantness

UI/UX

NTR

Other topics

  • Microsoft acquiring GitHub
    • dependency on SaaS in general (not just github but slack, hangouts, google mail, etc.) is a concern. Maybe a larger topic over the next month.
    • re: moving from github specifically: the worst issue would be moving away from the integrations (travis, etc.).
    • this is also a political/philosophical position as well.
    • proposal: start a working group to examine our use of SaaS and provide options for alternatives.
      • AS will raise this with directors at next meeting, and bring it back to the tech committee.
  • Update to Terms of Reference
  • Question: OCS plans?
  • Import from Zotero/Citavi/etc.?
  • Where did the presentations of the conference go? https://conference.pkp.sfu.ca/index.php/pkp2017/
    • We're migrating contents from an old server - redirects are currently a little broken, we're working on it.
  • privacy changes for OJS 2 (checkbox for privacy statement)

Next Meeting

July 19th, 8am Pacific