Tech Committee Meeting Minutes 17 January 2017
From PKP Wiki
- 1 In Attendance
- 2 Quick Updates
- 3 Release Progress (Alec)
- 4 Translation (Marco)
- 5 Documentation (Kevin)
- 6 UI/UX (Kevin/Alec)
- 8 Other topics
- 9 Next meeting
Alec, Chris, Clinton, Dulip, Jeanette, Kenton, Marc, Marco, Svantje
- Clinton Graham (Pitt)
- Vetting API changes (e.g.
- Alec: Better to do now than later. Tag in Doxygen to highlight the change? Used in several plugins…
- Clinton: Aware of plugin usages, most of them seem incorrect. Will look into Doxygen tags.
- Any memory of "Resubmit Statistics" (aka
- Alec: Send me more info, will look into it.
- Vetting API changes (e.g.
Release Progress (Alec)
- OJS 2.4.8-2: Soon, but not yet
- security issue concerning journal managers
- OJS 3.0.2: Scheduled for Feb 1
- Significant progress on translations; upgrade tweaks/fixes; etc.
- OMP 3.1: Scheduled for March 1
- harmonizing release number with OJS
- several new features
- OJS 3.1: Scheduled (tentatively) for May 1
- To include major features, including subscriptions
See https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/milestones for all milestones.
- an issue can only have one milestone in GitHub, which is a bit awkward
- some problems with the translation server
- expect translation updates for OJS 2.4.8-2, OJS 3.0.2 (Marco will send updates soon)
- M will come up with a plan on how to proceed with the translation install
- OJS 3 translations: Arabic (see RTL issues), Russian, French (under review)
- expect Finnish translation, German update
- major translation updates come in via GitHub, much much easier to maintain
- working via translation servers has some communication challenges
- planning for next release
- Alec has plans… but talks too fast to minute
- some discussion about processes: Kevin collects feedback from reviews, common issues pulled into a spreadsheet with priorities etc.
- still figuring out how to go from spreadsheet to GitHub
- want to make sure that UI/UX feedback gets more attention than random feature requests
- GitHub manifestations of UI/UX testing may link to Google Docs; ask for access if you need it
- encapsulation of objects makes inter-widget interaction troublesome; messaging is needed
- interaction between handlers and DOM is 1-to-1; MVC direction seems better, requires more separation
- Call for comments on tools & approaches
- Kenton supports Vue
- ongoing discussion in Google Docs
- Dulip likes Vue and React
- Alec notes Vue2
- Alec says someone else (who?) supports Backbone
- Marc likes Vue
Versioning for published articles (Svantje)
- Tab view (https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/issues/2072) implemented (https://github.com/lilients/ojs)
- Galleys connected with article version (“submission revision”)
- Current task: create new (unpublished) version from tab
- Marco: if we allow editing of published content, editors will do it; we will be encouraging that.
- Alec: don’t be afraid to track multiple revisions; store everything, maybe with a minor-change flag like MediaWiki.
- Svantje: how would we do major/minor? (Alec: just a Boolean flag)
EditorDecisionhandler vs. own handler?
- Alec: continue down whatever path you’ve started, and we’ll see in code review how it’s going
- changes at the database: add
published_submissions? (currently only at
- Alec posts SQL suggestion in Hangout chat
- timeline concerns: Svantje and Alec will work to make sure it gets done in her available time frame
Locale names (Marco)
- no solution for longer locale names yet, so we have unmerged translation updates
- need those to support different encodings/scripts (e.g. Cyrillic and Latin alphabet)
- see issue https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/issues/1911
- any update?
- Kassim is working on this
Sending passwords in plaintext e-mail (Marco)
- known problem
- moving away from it, toward just reset-required passwords
OJS 2.x lifecycle (Svantje)
- Alec: Indefinite; we’ll support 2.x until 3.x has full support for 2.x features like subscription, PubMed plugin, etc. Will then recommend 3.x for new projects, and wind down support over a year or two…
- Will need to back-port PHP 7 support to OJS 2.x