Tech Committee Meeting Minutes 14 April 2015
From PKP Wiki
- Clinton Graham (Pitt ULS)
- Still tasked with implementing ORCID in a non-PKP project
- Probably returning to OJS in a couple of weeks to begin testing/bugfixing the SUSHI-Lite plugin with Plum Analytics
- Bozana Bokan
- planing the update to OJS 2.4.6 + starting to use git for hosted journals
- smaller OMP developments
- protection of privacy data
- plan for the next few months; for both OJS and OMP: statistics plugin; social media plugin; and Log in as option
- Felix is also working out very well.
- currently working on public files upload possibility; and import/export of email templates
- Marc Bria
- Starting OJS 2.4.5 theming adaptation for papers.uab.cat.
- Helping OMP translators that next will start the testing process.
- Reviewing our journals to ensure metadata is complete.
- James MacGregor/hosting
- We've been looking at using gitlabs to better manage our customized journal. Will work on documentation and send to group. Clinton, Marc and Bozana in particular are interested.
Release Progress (Alec)
- OJS 2.4.6 went well: bug w/subscriptions already popped up.
- OMP 1.1.2? May just jump to OMP 1.2 unless there's a particular call for a new stable release.
- OJS 3.0 beta is still on track for August/conference release. Brian, Alec, Kevin have been meeting to ensure that our more important features are making it in.
- Have a new developer working on UI/UX stuff and plugin gallery for 3.0 (Nate).
UI/UX (Alec / Kevin)
- Progress on several elements (new submission list, copyediting discussion tool, etc.)
- Working to separate reader interface templates and workflow interface templates
- Early mockup of new administrative interface ideas
- Will have some mockups of one or two reader interfaces soon
- Moving toward Gitbook for PKP documentation; better version control (language, software version)
- Looking at replacing XML-based internal application Help files with Gitbook docs
- Marco may be tasked to look at translation options :-)
- Article display discussions
- User registration discussions
- Report on Section 508/WCAG compliance: http://scholarworks.csun.edu/handle/10211.3/134103
- good at the letter, but maybe not the spirit of the law
- reader front end: no problem
- screen readers: ok
- backend: some problems, we're investigating
- Bootstrap: haven't firmly agreed that this will be a dependency, but we're looking at it.
Release Automation (Alec)
- Ready to perform first test release of OJS 2.4.6-1 when the patch set is appropriate.
- Nothing major ATM.
- Received Arabic translation.
- Have been encountering more frequent situations where someone who is not our main translator sends in a suggested change. Will have to develop some sort of workflow for managing this, so that main translators are included.
New Forum (Alec/Kevin)
- Old forum now to be closed.
- Clinton: workflow has changed substantially. Previously, used RSS/email. Some challenges to move over and keep up with information flow.
- Email tweaking may help - there are listserv-like options available, apparently.
- Bozana: some concern that the one forum for all software may be problematic.
- We're still waiting for a proper tag plugin to be made stable, at which point folks can tag their threads with the software they're using.
- Marco: also having problems moving over to new workflow. Thinks the new situation with the one forum etc. is ambitious, but working well.
- Marc: It will take some time to switch over to this environment; it's a whole new environment, and we have to learn it. Maybe still too soon to tell how well it's working. Likes a lot writing, but feels is difficult to find posts and take a clear picture about how active is the community.
- PKP team will discuss discoverability/readability/external tracking more on Thursday.
- Will also decommission the old forum.
May 19, 9am PST