Unexpected database encoding error in OJS2

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
The Public Knowledge Project Support Forum is moving to http://forum.pkp.sfu.ca

This forum will be maintained permanently as an archived historical resource, but all new questions should be added to the new forum. Questions will no longer be monitored on this old forum after March 30, 2015.

Unexpected database encoding error in OJS2

Postby flengyel » Mon May 23, 2005 1:21 pm

We have upgraded our open journal systems site http://www.radicalimagination.com to OJS2. We are using mysql 4.1.10 (For RHEL 4) and php 4.3.9

During the installation, we set the following parameters concerning the characterset for input/output. database connection, and dtabase storage (these parameters end up in config.inc.php after the installation):

client_charset = utf-8
connection_charset = utf8
database_charset = utf8

A query on the Journal's first page returned the error that the swedish language encoding was invalid--only we asked for utf-8 in the setup! To fix this, we changed the connection_charset and database_charset parameters in config.inc.php from "utf8" (this need not be the same as "utf-8", to "Off"). The problem was resolved. Our config.inc.php now reads as follows:

; Database connection character set
; Must be set to "Off" if not supported by the database server
; If enabled, must be the same character set as "client_charset"
; (although the actual name may differ slightly depending on the server)
;connection_charset = utf8
connection_charset = Off

; Database storage character set
; Must be set to "Off" if not supported by the database server
;database_charset = utf8
database_charset = Off



Correction: view journal from index.php led to encoding erro

Postby flengyel » Mon May 23, 2005 1:28 pm

Pardon me: mysql returned the unexpected sweding encoding error from the VIEW JOURNAL and CURRENT links on the mail OJS page. Making the connection and database character set parameter changes resolved that problem.



Postby Guest » Mon May 23, 2005 1:28 pm

"swedish" not "sweding", whatever that means - I'm typing in a rush for some reason.

Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:23 pm

Postby kevin » Mon May 23, 2005 1:49 pm

See this bug report.

Return to “OJS Editorial Support and Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests