Talk:PKP WAL Grids
From PKP Wiki
Revision as of 14:19, 12 May 2014 by Alec
- I like the reduced emphasis on the column title by graying them out.
- I like changing the pencil icon to an expand icon. User feedback indicated this was confusing.
- I preferred the grid row lines. I found it easier to track the information unit when it was confined within row lines
- I preferred having more space between the rows. Again, I found it easier to track with more space.
- Liking this move a lot.
- The + sign: Let's think out what we are using it for. Info; Delete? Then on Plugins? It is usually a folder function to see the files within, so we need to redefine it clearly and consistently.
- As currently designed, there may be a little too much prominence on the + icon when it is not a key element for attention. Suggest we experiment with a less visually weighty icon, perhaps with gray-scale or by creating the plus sign by using something with four squares, sort of like this
- I's also like to play with how close the icon and name are, so that it is more of a unit, rather than two things.
- Note how the plugin name has no particular visual prominence against the description provided. The name is the first thing that needs to be scanned, the description is secondary. Maybe use all caps or small caps for plugin names, or gray-scale back the description. The idea is when the page loads the eye is drawn to the column that matters. This again needs to be consistent across grids, in this case, grids with names and descriptions
- Without the horizontal lines, I think the grids risk getting buried in pages that have other content; it won't be clear where the grid begins and ends. I'm not wedded to the horizontal lines for this -- we could look at alternatives like a solid border around the entire grid.
- We're using or proposing to use "+" for a few things...
- Expanding nested content (to collapse/expand categories in a grid)
- As an icon for the "Add" grid action
- To expand the row action tray as a replacement for the pencil icon.
- Some or all of these uses need to be visually distinct. I like the current "+" for grid "add" actions. We're already using icons that look like ">" (closed) and "v" (open) for "content on demand", which is conceptually similar to expanding a category row.