OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Reviewer Report - Questionnaire

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Reviewer Report - Questionnaire

Postby k_popper » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:45 pm

We are using not only text-based reviewer feedback, but also questionnaire-based evaluation. E.g. reviewers are asked to respond on 5-point Likert-type questions such as "Importance of the topic for International Business" by ticking either 5=excellent, 4=... 1=poor.

As far as I understand OJS, a questionnaire/quantitative feedback feature is not implemented, right?

We are currently using a reviewer request email template within OJS, which is amended such that it points to another, external URL from which reviewers can download the MS-word-based review form.

It would be nice to offer the review form within OJS. Is this possible? After all, reviewers have to login to download the paper, so it would be more convenient to offer reviewers the download of the reviewer report form at the same time.

What is the recommended procedure for such instances?

Thanks for any feedback. k-
k_popper

Addendum - Editor decisions

Postby k_popper » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:03 pm

Another question here is whether it is possible to change the drop-down boxes, "Reviewer recommendation" and "Editor decision" into something different? (e.g. ACCEPT as submitted, ACCEPT with modifications, REJECT as competitive paper, but accept as discussion paper, ...)
Thanks
k_popper

Reviewing Process

Postby ramon » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:02 am

For version 1.x you can do a few things.

1 - Place a link for the reviewer to download the form somewhere in your server

2 - Place the form within the original document so that the reviewer can upload his version with the form

3 - Add the form as a Supplementary File available to reviewers.

As for the values, you can change the text in the locale files (if my memory is not failing, ojs/locale/language/admin.inc.php...). You should change this for all the languages used...

I believe this ideas can fit version 2.x in some way.

I hope that for version 2.x a web evaluation form (such as the polls in PHPBB ) can be implemented, so that the editor can configure his own evaluation system.
ramon

Postby asmecher » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:26 am

Hello k_popper,

For OJS 2.x, there was a Custom Review Forms patch contributed by an OJS user; it should at some point be incorporated into the OJS 2.x codebase, but it is in need of considerable work and we may not get to it before the next release of OJS.

You're welcome to investigate it for yourself: See http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1760 for more information. If you'd like to try it, I'd suggest trying to apply the most recent patch against the most recent release of OJS. Note that this is largely untested code and I'd suggest a thorough review before using it in a production environment.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
Last edited by asmecher on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asmecher

Custom review form

Postby k_popper » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:43 pm

Hi Alec,

Thanks for your response. Does this "custom review form" append a file to the review form I inquired earlier or does it do something else?
The reason I am asking, I have to talk to a programmer at my institution, I am not doing the implementation (not capable to do), I have to rely on clever IT people to do that for me, but I will have to tell them what this patch should practically do.

Thanks
k_popper

Postby asmecher » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:21 pm

Hello k_popper,

I haven't completed a review of the patch, so I can't be certain that it meets your requirements; however, the patch does appear to support attachments to reviews. Be warned that preparing this for a production environment is a non-trivial amount of work..

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Review report form

Postby k_popper » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:54 pm

asmecher wrote:Hello k_popper,

I haven't completed a review of the patch, so I can't be certain that it meets your requirements; however, the patch does appear to support attachments to reviews. Be warned that preparing this for a production environment is a non-trivial amount of work..

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Dear Alec,

thanks for this information. This encourages me not to change anything now and opt for the (less preferred) email review process, because there we can append custom review forms. I would like to point out that the custom review form would be a great addition for my discipline (management). Thus I can only hope you find the time to include it in an upcoming version of your phantastic software. Obviously the option to link up with an online questionnaire system (php has been mentioned) would be another step-chage to the system.

Finally, I would like to add, that being able to change the "reviewer decision" options (drop-down list) from within the 'setup' configuration would be a nice feature.

At any rate, I don't want to go on and on with additional wishes. After all this software is great and does more that one could hope for.

Thanks!!
k_popper

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion