OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Section editor is disappeared

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Section editor is disappeared

Postby msaghaei » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:23 am

Hi Alec

Without an apparent reason one of the article is moved from the review into the unassigned list, and the section editor of it is changed into 'None'. In addition the name of that section editor is not listed under the 'Select Section Editor" list, as if he is already selected for that article as section editor. The name of that particular section editor is present when changing int another article for which that section editor is not selected yet. I checked the list of section editors and he was among them in enabled state. The only event to my knowledge is that we started a new journal in the site with that particular section editor as the journal manager and editor of that new journal.

Regards,

Mahmoud
msaghaei

Postby asmecher » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:44 am

Hi Mahmoud,

Could you check to see if there's a corresponding entry in the edit_assignments table (i.e.with the article_id and editor_id corresponding to the article ID and user ID for that editor)?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby msaghaei » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:19 am

Hi Alec

Yes, there's one entry in the edit_assignments table with the article_id and editor_id corresponding to the article ID and user ID for that editor.

Regards,

Mahmoud
msaghaei

Postby asmecher » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:12 am

Hi Mahmoud,

The query that OJS uses to get a list of assigned editors for a submission is:
Code: Select all
SELECT e.*, u.first_name, u.last_name, u.email, u.initials, r.role_id AS editor_role_id FROM articles a, edit_assignments e LEFT JOIN users u ON (e.editor_id = u.user_id) LEFT JOIN roles r ON (r.user_id = e.editor_id AND r.role_id = 256) WHERE e.article_id = ? AND (r.journal_id IS NULL OR r.journal_id = a.journal_id) AND a.article_id = e.article_id ORDER BY e.date_notified ASC;
Does this query not select the edit assignment you mention above? Replace the question mark with the appropriate article ID. If it does not come back in the set of results, could you investigate which part of the join is problematic?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
---
asmecher

Postby msaghaei » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:45 am

Hi Alec

Sorry for the delay, I was not at my office.
The query you mentioned
SELECT e.*, u.first_name, u.last_name, u.email, u.initials, r.role_id AS editor_role_id FROM articles a, edit_assignments e LEFT JOIN users u ON (e.editor_id = u.user_id) LEFT JOIN roles r ON (r.user_id = e.editor_id AND r.role_id = 256) WHERE e.article_id = 530 AND (r.journal_id IS NULL OR r.journal_id = a.journal_id) AND a.article_id = e.article_id ORDER BY e.date_notified ASC;

returned no result. For the next part of your comment (which part of the join is problematic?) I do not know how to find the problematic part.
msaghaei

Postby asmecher » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:20 am

Hi Mahmoud,

Very strange. How about:
SELECT e.*, u.first_name, u.last_name, u.email, u.initials FROM articles a, edit_assignments e LEFT JOIN users u ON (e.editor_id = u.user_id) WHERE e.article_id = 530 AND a.article_id = e.article_id;
Regards,
Alec Smecher
---
asmecher

Postby msaghaei » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:38 am

Hi Alec

It returned one record (that of the section editor with the article_id)

Regards,

Mahmoud
msaghaei

Postby asmecher » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:03 am

Hi Mahmoud,

OK, I think I've found the problem. Try:
SELECT e.*, u.first_name, u.last_name, u.email, u.initials, r.role_id AS editor_role_id FROM articles a LEFT JOIN edit_assignments e ON (a.article_id = e.article_id) LEFT JOIN users u ON (e.editor_id = u.user_id) LEFT JOIN roles r ON (r.user_id = e.editor_id AND r.role_id = 256 AND r.journal_id = a.journal_id) WHERE e.article_id = 530 AND a.article_id = e.article_id ORDER BY e.date_notified ASC;
If this works as expected, I'll put together a patch for you to try.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
---
asmecher

Postby msaghaei » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:46 pm

Hi Alec

Again, sorry for the delay, perhap I am getting old and some how forgotful.

I run the query
SELECT e.*, u.first_name, u.last_name, u.email, u.initials, r.role_id AS editor_role_id FROM articles a LEFT JOIN edit_assignments e ON (a.article_id = e.article_id) LEFT JOIN users u ON (e.editor_id = u.user_id) LEFT JOIN roles r ON (r.user_id = e.editor_id AND r.role_id = 256 AND r.journal_id = a.journal_id) WHERE e.article_id = 530 AND a.article_id = e.article_id ORDER BY e.date_notified ASC;

It return the anticipated record!

Regards,
Mahmoud
msaghaei

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:39 pm

Hi Mahmoud,

Could you try the patch linked at http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2943 to see if it corrects the problem for you?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby msaghaei » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:32 pm

Hi Alec

Since the problem only occured for a particular section editor, I decided to create a new account for him and later I merged his previous account with the new one. This way the problem solved (of course superficially). Therefore currently I do not have the problem condition, and do not know how to produce it again. Anyhow I will try the patch on my localhost copy and will see what happen.

Regards,
Mahmoud
msaghaei

Re: Section editor is disappeared

Postby spatialguru » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:58 am

I'm not sure if I'm struggling with a related issue - though I see this is a pretty old thread.
I've reassigned some sections and articles to new section editors and reviewers. Journal manager/editor I can see the articles in review/editing no problem and it says they are assigned to the right section editors. But when I log in as one of those section editors I don't see any articles :(

I ran the above queries from this thread and they all returned good results. So I'm wondering where else I should poke my head. Hmm... looks like I'm running 2.2.0 from back in 2007 - maybe an upgrade is worth doing??

Nice to be back in OJS world for a while :)
spatialguru

Postby spatialguru » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:32 am

More background...and some small success. From the summary screen of the article, I've manually deleted and re-added the section editors. They can now each see the article.

I did the same for reviewers, but to no avail... hmmm...
spatialguru

Postby spatialguru » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:00 pm

I've got some more details, but will move this to another thread first.
spatialguru

Return to OJS Technical Support