OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Quick route for adding back issues?

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Quick route for adding back issues?

Postby egonw » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:36 am

Hi all,

happily using OJS (cdknews.org) I do have a question about adding back issues, with articles which have seen reviewing and were released before we started using OJS. I managed to enter a 2004 journal, by uploading the PDF of the article, and using 'Skip Email' for *a lot of* emails.

Isn't there a quicker way of doing this? A quick way that directly marks the article as reviewed, copy-edited, proof-read, etc, and directly assign and publish it in an issue?

BTW, related to this: is it possible to hard code the 'current' issue, instead of having the current being the last published issue? I don't want these back issues to show up as current issue...

Thanx,

Egon
egonw

Postby asmecher » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:57 am

Hi Egon,

Yes, there is a quick way to skip the workflow processes. Generally speaking, if you're importing a large number of back-issues, I'd suggest using the XML import plugin (see plugins/importexport/native/native.dtd) -- but if you don't have XML expertise on hand, the easiest way is:
  • Make sure your user account is enrolled both as Editor and as Author
  • Go through the regular submission process
  • After confirmation, you'll see a link that offers to skip the submission through directly to scheduling.
After you've jumped your submissions through the queue, you'll be able to schedule them directly into new issues.

Note that there was a bug in OJS 2.1.1 that you might need to patch; see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2346 for details and a link to a patch (please use the second link).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby egonw » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:25 am

asmecher wrote:Generally speaking, if you're importing a large number of back-issues, I'd suggest using the XML import plugin (see plugins/importexport/native/native.dtd)

Dear Alec,

that sounds like a good way to go. Three questions then:
1. is there any documention online on how to do this?
2. in which OJS version was this introduced?
3. how can I check which OJS version we have running?

(ad 3: I did not install it personally...)

Thanx,

Egon
egonw

Postby egonw » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:25 pm

asmecher wrote:
  • Make sure your user account is enrolled both as Editor and as Author
  • Go through the regular submission process
  • After confirmation, you'll see a link that offers to skip the submission through directly to scheduling.

Dear Alec,

I just tried this option, and seems to work fine. No idea how I managed to overlook that link there :(

Egon
egonw

skip most of the process

Postby kurtmathiesen » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:14 am

asmecher wrote:After you've jumped your submissions through the queue, you'll be able to schedule them directly into new issues.

I've tried to do this, but I end up in a white/blank page ( eg. /index.php/dfrevy/author/expediteSubmission?articleId=###), and then nothing happens. The result is that the process is being skipped until "Editing -> Layout" section where I have to upload the file again as Galley.

asmecher wrote:Note that there was a bug in OJS 2.1.1 that you might need to patch; see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2346 for details and a link to a patch (please use the second link).

Current version: 2.1.1.0 (August 16, 2006 - 09:03 AM) and my sys.adm says that the patch has been applied.

Is it possible to avoid the blank page? and
Is it possible to skip the uploading of the galley file? (the original should just be used)
kurtmathiesen

Postby asmecher » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:39 pm

Hi kurtmathiesen,

With the patch in place, you shouldn't need to manually upload a galley. Usually when there's a blank page, it indicates that a PHP error has occurred. A message should appear in your log file. Alternately, you can add the following line near the top of index.php:
Code: Select all
ini_set('display_errors', E_ALL);
This will cause any errors to be displayed directly to your browser (and should not be left this way on a production machine, though it's useful for debugging).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Re: Quick route for adding back issues?

Postby yqg » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:11 am

I've moved PDFs to the end of the queue without going through the review process however at no point am I able to submit an HTML version as well. How can I submit both?
yqg

Re: Quick route for adding back issues?

Postby asmecher » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:09 am

Hi Nicole,

As Editor, Section Editor or Layout Editor, go to the submission's Editing page, find the Layout section, and upload the HTML version of the article as a new Galley.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support