OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Google analytics

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Google analytics

Postby SergioRuiz » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:37 am

Hi!

I'm using google analytics, which is a wonderful tool to get statistics for your site.

I was wondering where should I place the hidden code to track an OJS website. I guess the best place is following the top menu or maybe after the last option on the right menu (after information for librarians). But those options would mean to modify code, which I don't think is a good idea, specially for future updates of OJS.

What do you think? Best regards,
SergioRuiz

Postby asmecher » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:43 am

Hi Sergio,

You should be able to do this by place the tracking code in the Journal Manager's Setup page 5, in the "Alternate Header" field.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby SergioRuiz » Tue May 22, 2007 12:59 am

asmecher wrote:You should be able to do this by place the tracking code in the Journal Manager's Setup page 5, in the "Alternate Header" field.

Hi,

I'm taking back this topic... I placed the code where you told me. The problem is that it only tracks visitors to the main page, but not when people click on an article, even when they get straight to an article from google.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help...

Best regards,

Sergio Ruiz

p.s.: by the way, google analytics has changed and it is such a great option to track your visitors
SergioRuiz

Postby asmecher » Tue May 22, 2007 9:31 am

Hi Sergio,

There are one or two pages that don't use the Alternate Header field when generating a page, and the article view page is one of them. You'll need to manually insert the Analytics code into templates/article/article.tpl.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

New module/plugin?

Postby mbria » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:25 am

I have been using analytics for a wile and it's amazing how well is working google in this side. New beta panel is much more clear than the old one... that was very clear too.

I played with templates to add urchin script at the end of every page and it is also a solution... but sometimes too much complicated for final users so probably is a good idea to develop an analytics module for OJS.

With a dedicated plugin we can make reports by user's profile, define goal success and so on. Probably in a more flexible and detailed way than COUNTER plugin.

I don't like much to lose control over our services and our magazine and I understand somebody could feel uncomfortable about sharing with google this valuable information, but analytics features are wonderful so at the end I don't have much doubts.

Any other argument to defend COUNTER against analytics as an OJS reporter?

Now that our magazine is running my coordinator dedicates my time to new projects, but I will suggest him spending a week or so to improve this part... It's not an "must be" plugin, but I quite sure it will be really valuable for Editors that want to know what happen with their magazines.

Cheers,

m.
mbria

Postby asmecher » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:00 am

Hi mbria,

Thanks for the feedback; yes, Google Analytics is looking like it would be a very attractive addition to our stable of supported external tools.

Some changes have taken place in the pre-release OJS 2.2 codebase that will make a plugin to support Google Analytics a much easier task. I've filed a Bugzilla entry for this plugin at http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2900; while I can't guarantee it'll be released with OJS 2.2, I suspect it will. In the meantime, the instructions above should serve well for OJS 2.1.1 users (and if anyone has questions about accomplishing these modifications, I'd be happy to answer them).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

New plugins

Postby michael » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:09 pm

Hi mbria and Sergio,

To follow-up on this, we've added new plugins to support both Google Analytics as well as phpMyVisites (http://www.phpmyvisites.us/), which is a free and open source web traffic analysis application. Both plugins should be available in OJS 2.2.

Cheers,
Michael
michael

Re: New plugins

Postby SergioRuiz » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:19 am

michael wrote:To follow-up on this, we've added new plugins to support both Google Analytics as well as phpMyVisites (http://www.phpmyvisites.us/), which is a free and open source web traffic analysis application. Both plugins should be available in OJS 2.2.

Thank you, Michael. Following this issue... I cannot find the uacct code in my Analytics account in order to activate the plugin, do you know where can I find it?

Thanks in advance,
SergioRuiz

Re: Google analytics

Postby michael » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:05 am

Hi Sergio,

To locate your uacct code, try the following:

1. Sign in to Google Analytics
2. From the Analytics Settings page, find the profile for which you would like to retrieve the code
3. From that profile's Settings column, click 'Edit'
4. At the top right of the Main Website Profile Information box, click 'Check Status'
5. Your code will be in the text box at the bottom of the page, in the 'Instructions for adding tracking' section

Cheers,
Michael
michael

Postby mataiand » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:37 am

hey

I would like to use Google analytics,

I added the code to the "Alternate Heading" part in the Setup, but when i'm checking the source code, it's in the middle of the site and the google says it should be "immediately before the </body> tag".
I tried with both the "urchin.js" and the newer version "ga.js", but still doesn't work. Which should I use?
or what can be the problem?

or how should I fill out the "Website URL", with index.php or without,

pls. help me

my site:
http://biblioteca.unisabana.edu.co/publ ... hp/laclil/

thx
mataiand

Postby michael » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:54 am

Hi mataiand,

Rather than trying to add the code yourself, you can simply use the Google Analytics plugin that's already provided as part of OJS (2.2.0). As Journal Manager, you can enable it under 'System Plugins'.

Cheers,
Michael
michael

Postby mataiand » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:20 am

ok, thanks
I didn't know about that

I enabled, but still doesn't work. I already set up for a diff. site and working well.

on the google, at the edit section, i put like this:

Website URL: biblioteca.unisabana.edu.co/publicaciones
Default page[?]: index.php

it's good???
mataiand

Postby michael » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:20 am

Hi mataiand,

Yes, those settings should work. Please keep in mind that GA usually takes a bit of time (24 hours) before it will start collecting and displaying statistics. During this period, the GA 'Check Status' function isn't really reliable -- that is, even if you have the plugin enabled in OJS and the tracking code is present at your journal, 'Check Status' may nonetheless report that it isn't. Best to give it a day.

BTW, nice work on your CSS!

Cheers,
Michael
michael

Postby eXcer » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:16 pm

Hi there!

We're still using OJS 2.1.1.0 on our website and I'm trying to configure Google Analytics (GA). I already added the source code of GA on the alternative header field like it was suggested on previous posts, but when I check the generated source code of the main page of our website, the GA code doesn't appear anywhere! Any ideas of what I might be doing wrong? Thanks in advance!
eXcer

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:00 pm

Hi eXcer,

You may want to try placing the code Google Analytics provides directly into templates/common/footer.tpl, and in templates/article/article.tpl.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Next

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion