OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

2.0 installion problem

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

2.0 installion problem

Postby osborne » Fri May 20, 2005 1:50 pm

When I try to open
ojs-2.0/index.php
(the first step) I get:

Fatal error: Failed opening required 'pages/install/InstallHandler.inc.php' (include_path='/home1/htdocs/osborne/te/ojs-2.0/includes:/home1/htdocs/osborne/te/ojs-2.0/classes:/home1/htdocs/osborne/te/ojs-2.0/pages:/home1/htdocs/osborne/te/ojs-2.0/lib:/home1/htdocs/osborne/te/ojs-2.0/lib/smarty:') in /home1/htdocs/osborne/te/ojs-2.0/includes/functions.inc.php on line 21

(I've omitted some other directories in my include path that are irrelevant to OJS.)

The file
ojs-2.0/pages/install/InstallHandler.inc.php
exists on my server (and is world readable).
osborne

Postby kevin » Fri May 20, 2005 7:51 pm

Have you overridden the include_path setting in php.ini to not include "."?
kevin

Postby osborne » Tue May 24, 2005 1:33 pm

OK, that's the explanation. I should have thought of it ...

But now I have a different problem:

The installation program says that
"The public files directory does not exist or is not writeable."
although the directory I specify is in fact (group and world) writeable. At least, the listing for the directory says
drwxrwxrwx
At the top of the page on which the error is reported, there are some PHP warnings:

Warning: Undefined property: currentNode in /home1/htdocs/osborne/te/ojs-2.0/classes/xml/XMLParserDOMHandler.inc.php on line 44

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home1/htdocs/osborne/te/ojs-2.0/classes/xml/XMLParserDOMHandler.inc.php:44) in /home1/htdocs/osborne/te/ojs-2.0/classes/template/TemplateManager.inc.php on line 152

Incidentally, it would seem that the text under the heading "Database settings", which is a copy of the text under the previous heading, is not appropriate.
osborne

Postby Guest » Tue May 24, 2005 7:05 pm

OK, forget the middle part of my previous post. I confused the "public files directory" with the "directory for uploaded files". But ....... now I get

Warning: Undefined property: currentNode in /home1/htdocs/osborne/te/ojs-2.0/classes/xml/XMLParserDOMHandler.inc.php on line 44

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: file_get_contents() in /home1/htdocs/osborne/te/ojs-2.0/lib/adodb/adodb-xmlschema.inc.php on line 1739

when I press the button to install the system.

Postby kevin » Tue May 24, 2005 8:23 pm

It looks like ADOdb (a third-party library used by OJS) is using a function that is only available on PHP >= 4.3.0.

If you want try to fixing it yourself without upgrading PHP you could change every instance of

Code: Select all
file_get_contents(SOMETHING)

to

Code: Select all
join('', file(SOMETHING))

(although I can't guarantee there are no other compatibility problems -- we have not done any recent testing on anything earlier than PHP 4.3)
kevin

Postby osborne » Fri May 27, 2005 8:04 pm

Thanks! (Yes, using PHP 4.3 solves the problem.)

A couple of other questions:

- The installation instructions say to make some directories and files "writeable". It's certainly sufficient that they are world writeable, but is group writeable enough?

- The installation script gives the following option under "File settings": "Do not create subdirectories". I couldn't see any explanation of this option. (Subdirectories of what? Why might doing so be good/bad?)
osborne

Postby kevin » Sat May 28, 2005 1:24 am

- The installation instructions say to make some directories and files "writeable". It's certainly sufficient that they are world writeable, but is group writeable enough?

That depends on what group owns the directory. If your Apache server runs under apache:apache, then it is sufficient for the directory to be user-writeable with owner apache and/or group-writeable with group apache.

- The installation script gives the following option under "File settings": "Do not create subdirectories". I couldn't see any explanation of this option. (Subdirectories of what? Why might doing so be good/bad?)

That creates various required directories under the "public" and "files_dir" directories for site/journal files. There's no reason to select "Do not create" unless you intend to do a manual install.
kevin

Postby Guest » Sat May 28, 2005 11:30 am

Thanks---that's helpful.

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion