OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Adding metadata fields to submission form-supplementary file

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Adding metadata fields to submission form-supplementary file

Postby jn122 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:34 pm

Hi all

I am getting very close to finalising our modifications to the OJS software for a dedicated article submission system for an association journal. I have two final modifications to deal with and was hoping for some advice (I will post the second as another forum post):

With the supplementary metadata added in step 4a of the submission process I would like to be able to modify the drop down list of supplementary filetypes - ideally we only need two types, images and other. Additionally an added field would be useful, one to specify the image caption. I have searched through the forum and found a couple of posts that detail the process for adding fields through the database but I am wondering if it is possble for a quicker and easier work around by simply modifying or deleting the existing select fields.

Thanks in advance for any help
jn122

Re: Adding metadata fields to submission form-supplementary file

Postby jmacgreg » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:45 pm

Hi jn122,

Just to clarify what you're trying to do here: will you be using the Supplementary Files section to handle pretty much only article figures/graphics etc.?

If so, I would advise possibly using the mandatory "Title" field for the caption. Alternatively, you could use the "Brief Description" field.

You can modify what these fields are called on the Supplementary Files page by finding the locale keys in templates/author/submit/suppFile.tpl, and modifying the corresponding locale file entries to say what you want. For English, the locale file is found at locale/en_US/locale.xml.

The quickest and easiest way to modify the "Type" form to do what you want would be to remove the drop-down menu and just request that authors fill the "Specify Other" form in. Specifically, change suppFile.tpl, line 52, from

Code: Select all
   <td width="80%" class="value"><select name="type" class="selectMenu" id="type" size="1">{html_options_translate output=$typeOptionsOutput values=$typeOptionsValues translateValues="true" selected=$type}</select><br /><label for="typeOther">{translate key="author.submit.suppFile.specifyOtherType"}</label> <input type="text" name="typeOther[{$formLocale|escape}]" id="typeOther" class="textField" value="{$typeOther[$formLocale]|escape}" size="45" maxlength="255" /></td>

to

Code: Select all
   <td width="80%" class="value"><input type="text" name="typeOther[{$formLocale|escape}]" id="typeOther" class="textField" value="{$typeOther[$formLocale]|escape}" size="60" maxlength="255" /></td>

Experiment with both those files -- templates/author/submit/suppFile.tpl, and locale/en_US/locale.xml -- and you should be able to massage the page to your liking.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Technical Support