OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Odd DB access problem with MySql5

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Odd DB access problem with MySql5

Postby Sherman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:18 pm

My ISP is shifting from MySql4 to MySql5, and I've tried converting my OJS database to MySql 5 but I get the classic DB Error: Access denied for user: 'username@localhost' to database 'database' error message, including when I add the following to config.inc.php:
Code: Select all
grant all on [db name].* to '[username]'@'localhost'

I've switched back to using the MySql4 database for now, but am I missing something obvious. (Yes, I know there's a permissions thing, but I'm not sure how to debug further.)
Sherman

Re: Odd DB access problem with MySql5

Postby smiri » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:42 pm

Hi Sherman,

Do you have remote access to your mysql database? or perhaps a PHPMyAdmin? As far as I know, this command should be executed on mysql server or phpMyAdmin. Just simply putting it in your config.inc.php file wouldn't help.

You also might have to ask you ISP to add the user and grant permissions to it.

Regards,
smiri

Postby Sherman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:07 pm

smiri wrote:Do you have remote access to your mysql database? or perhaps a PHPMyAdmin?

phpMyAdmin - 2.9.1.1

But I'm not sure where to do that: I see a query window that seems the only free-text entry point, and that doesn't work.
Sherman

Postby smiri » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:43 pm

Hi Sherman,

I think you should contact your ISP to find out how you can add users. Some ISPs allow you to add users and some only add users themselves.

Regards,
smiri

Postby Sherman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:54 pm

Oh, I can add users and have done that, to no effect.
Sherman

Postby smiri » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:40 pm

Hi Sherman,

If I'm not mistaking, in PHPMyAdmin, when you add a user, that's when you specify grant statements and give permissions to that user also. From the error message it seems like the permissions have not been granted to the user. So you would need to either find out how to grant permissions in your version of PHPMyAdmin, or ask your ISP for help. That's all this error message is suggesting.

Good luck,
smiri

Return to OJS Technical Support