OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Abstracts in several languages

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Abstracts in several languages

Postby barreyre » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:55 pm

I am considering upgrading our journal's OJS to 2.2. However, there is a feature I haven't found in the new version. In OJS 2.1, you can configure the submission process so that authors have to submit the abstract of their article in two languages (in our case: French and English. What happens is that in the second step of the submission process, four boxes appear: "Titre" and "Résumé", and "Titre (English)" and "Résumé (English)".

I could not find anywhere an option in OJS 2.2 to replicate this. Do you have an idea how I can make sure that authors submit abstracts in both languages?

Yours,

N. Barreyre
Le Mouvement Social
barreyre

Re: Abstracts in several languages

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:23 pm

Hi barreyre,

There is built-in multilingual support with OJS 2.2, but it operates a little differently than what was in 2.1. When the Journal Manager has enabled more than one language for the journal site (this can be done from the Journal Manager's User Home, under Languages), users will be able to switch the form language whenever they encounter a form that accepts information in more than one language.

For example, when an author is submitting an article in OJS 2.2, they will have the option to switch to French on Step 2 of the submission process. This option appears as the "Form Language" option at the very top of the page. The author can fill in whatever information they have in English (if available), then switch to French and do the same thing. Once they save the page, the information they entered will be seen depending on the system language chosen by the viewer (this can be chosen on the right-hand navigation bar).

This behaviour holds true throughout the journal -- so, for example, when the Journal Manager is completing or updating the 5-step Setup process, they will be able to enter information in multiple languages by switching the "Form Language".

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby barreyre » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:48 pm

Hi,

thank you for the quick response. I was afraid that you would give me that answer, though. It is exceedingly difficult for us to have authors give abstracts in French AND English for their submissions, and part of our choice to switch to OJS was to ensure they would do it. The method of filling your abstract in one language, go back up the page, toggle the language for the form, and input the English abstract is way too complicated for our techno-shy authors to get and comply to, I'm afraid. As much as I understand the method for configuration and the like, for the submission process it is simply unmanageable on our side.

Is there any way I can have two boxes (one for English abstract, one for French abstract) on the submission page? Or should I stick with OJS 2.1?

Thanks again for your answers

Nicolas Barreyre
barreyre

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:03 pm

Hi Nicolas,

The refashioned multilingual support for OJS is definitely a work-in-progress, and any suggestions are most welcome. I'm currently working on making the whole multiple-form process clearer.

I don't think we'll be moving from the toggle option as it currently is. However, I'm working on some explicatory text to go with the Form Language toggle at the top, and on putting an icon or some other notification wherever there is text that can be entered multiple times. If you have any suggestions on how to work with the system as it currently stands, I'd be very happy to hear them. I can also let you know when I have a proof of concept and/or a patch.

Otherwise, you may be best off sticking with OJS 2.1 for the time being. With a bit of work, you could also develop a plugin of your own to recreate the 2.1 behaviour, depending on your technical skill.

I'll be letting our lead developer know of your suggestions.

Thanks,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Technical Support