OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Ready-made Galley layouts / page layouts

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Ready-made Galley layouts / page layouts

Postby mlapl1 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:11 am

Dear All,

I wonder if anyone can point me toward some ready-made page layouts for articles to be published in OJS. I am looking for something like the layout used by the International Journal of Communication.

Also, would it be the norm to use a template in MSWord and then convert it to HTML and/or PDF? Or is there some other/better way of achieving this? I guess I am wondering where to get the right sort of information on this.

Thank you once again
Andrew
mlapl1

Re: Ready-made Galley layouts / page layouts

Postby jmacgreg » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:47 pm

Hi Andrew,

Using Microsoft Office/Word Perfect/Open Office to create galleys is fairly common, especially for generating pdfs. With a little experimenting, you could probably generate a template fairly similar to the IJC's. There are other more robust desktop publishing tools out there, but if your articles are fairly simple structurally, you would probably want to stick with something like the above-mentioned word processors.

You may also be interested in another PKP project, Lemon8-XML. While currently in alpha and as such not publicly usable, Lemon8-XML promises to generate publishable XML documents from typical word-processor documents. You can view more information here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/lemon8, and can ask to be signed up to the mailing list for more details.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby mlapl1 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:03 pm

Thanks a lot James - I figured it might be something like that but had thought there might have been some kind of repository of recommended or preferred templates.

Thanks also for the XML information.

I have one more related question. I have managed to "publish" an issue of our new journal on a trial site. I wonder how page numbers are entered in a table of contents. I imagine that this is done manually. However, I cannot find where the page numbers are entered. I have consulted the online help as well as looked in the system docs (like the 1-hour pdf) and also a little on the BBS but have not been able to get the information.

I do appreciate your help very much indeed and will try to make this the last of my queries - but you have helped me short-cut a whole bunch of issues.

Andrew
BTW - the software will most likely be used by a consortium of US and Asian universities and an international association to publish a refereed journal on learning technologies in Asia.
mlapl1

Postby jmacgreg » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:39 pm

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the kind words! It's no trouble at all, and please keep the questions coming if you have them.

BTW - the software will most likely be used by a consortium of US and Asian universities and an international association to publish a refereed journal on learning technologies in Asia.

-- do you mind me asking what the consortium/association is/are? That's welcome news indeed.

For page numbers:

As Journal Manager, you must enable the page number option, found in Setup Step 4.3, Identification of Journal Content. Just click the checkbox and save the page at the bottom.

To fix already-published content: log in as Editor, and from User Home choose "Back Issues" and then the issue title you want to edit. From there you should have a page range form for each item in the Table of Contents.

To add page numbers to Future issues: You'll have the option to do this before you publish the issue, and it'll work essentially the same way. You'll just have to go to Future Issues from User Home instead of Back Issues, of course.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Technical Support