OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Installation trouble

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Installation trouble

Postby janw » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:42 pm

Hello,

I have a strange problem - solution is probably trivial but i'm quite desperate already and really need an advice by someone more clever...

Here's what happened:
I've been trying to install OJS 2.1.1 on two different sites on the same server. The first site was meant to be a testdrive and it worked - and still does - like a charm. No problem whatsoever, im able to create users, log in, log out etc. The other one is located on the same server, same configuration, same version of OJS. Installation seems to proceed fine but as soon as I try to log in onto a fresh admin account i get blank page. After that any attempt to open /ojs results in a blank page.
The database is created, i can see it in phpadmin etc, new user is added, but login does not work. And hell, it works on another site ! :evil:

Some configuration details:
Apache version 1.3.36 (Unix)
MySQL client version: 4.1.22
MySQL version 4.1.13-standard-log
PHP version 4.4.7

error log gives:
[12053] EACCELERATOR: PHP crashed on opline 12 of debug_backtrace() at /home/fsp/public_html/ojs-2.1.1/classes/db/DAO.inc.php:28

Hope someone can help me, any feedback will be appreciated.
janw

Re: Installation trouble

Postby asmecher » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:50 pm

Hi janw,

This sounds like a problem with eAccelerator, similar to one we've encountered with Zend Optimizer. Certain versions crash hard when the debug_backtrace PHP function is called. In Zend Optimizer, recent releases fix the bug; perhaps there is a newer version of eAccelerator available? Alternately, I'd suggest temporarily disabling eAccelerator to see if that fixes the problem.

I'm not sure why one OJS installation would work while another does not -- but if you can narrow the problem down to eAccelerator, it would help.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby janw » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:49 am

asmecher wrote:Hi janw,

This sounds like a problem with eAccelerator, similar to one we've encountered with Zend Optimizer. Certain versions crash hard when the debug_backtrace PHP function is called. In Zend Optimizer, recent releases fix the bug; perhaps there is a newer version of eAccelerator available? Alternately, I'd suggest temporarily disabling eAccelerator to see if that fixes the problem.

I'm not sure why one OJS installation would work while another does not -- but if you can narrow the problem down to eAccelerator, it would help.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thank you for your reply Alec. Sadly I can't disable eAccelerator or install new version as this is set globally by site administrator. I also can't change my host.
Still, unless we resort to fuzzy logic it is impossible that the same code crashes with the same eAccelerator under same circumstances isn't it ? So this seems to be configuration related, not code related.

BTW, It's Zend Engine v1.3.0, eAccelerator v0.9.5.1 with Zend Extension Manager v1.2.0, Zend Optimizer v3.2.8 so its pretty new AFAIK.
Same thing happens with OJS 2.1.1 and 2.2...

Update: I took the brute-force path and commented-out occurencies of debug_backtrace in /classes/db/DAO.inc.php
Now i get notices about undefined variable "trace" (obviously) but at least ojs seems to be working. Bizarre.

Jan
janw

Postby asmecher » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:50 am

Hi Jan,

There's a patch on this forum to accomplish the same work-around as you've made in response to the Zend Optimizer bug. (Search this forum for Optimizer and you should find it.) You may also be able to disable eAccelerator and Zend Optimizer using an .htaccess directive, depending on how your server is set up -- see http://www.webmasterworld.com/php/3003789.htm, for example.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby janw » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:57 pm

asmecher wrote:Hi Jan,

There's a patch on this forum to accomplish the same work-around as you've made in response to the Zend Optimizer bug. (Search this forum for Optimizer and you should find it.) You may also be able to disable eAccelerator and Zend Optimizer using an .htaccess directive, depending on how your server is set up -- see http://www.webmasterworld.com/php/3003789.htm, for example.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

No, this .htaccess functionality is disabled. Will try the patch, thank you again for your reply.
Now that i played with phpinfo() it turned out why one install of OJS worked - it is located on different server with Zend Engine v2.2.0 and eAccelerator 9.5.2. It seems therefore that newest eAccelerator solves the problem...
janw

Return to OJS Technical Support