OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

importing pdf with xml

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

importing pdf with xml

Postby sarangi » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:57 am

I have a pdf file for the article that I'm importing. Below the xml snippet that is being used to get the file into OJS. But after everything is imported and I go into OJS to try to view the pdf, it comes up as corrupted file.

<galley>
<label>text</label>
<file>
<embed encoding="base64" filename="528.pdf" mime_type="application/pdf"></embed>
</file>
</galley>

Could you tell me what mistake am I making here? Also the file 528.pdf is in the same folder as the xml file I have used for importing articles.
sarangi

Re: importing pdf with xml

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:10 pm

Hi Sarangi,

You may find the following post helpful:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=590&p=1751&hilit=embed#p1751

Since your pdf file is stored in the same place as the xml file rather than embedded within the xml itself, it looks like you'll need to switch from using the embed tag to an href tag, and point the href to the location of your pdf file.

Take care,

James
jmacgreg

Postby sarangi » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:27 pm

Can the href tag take my local address of my computer? I'm using web bases Article export import plugin.
sarangi

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:09 pm

Hi Sarangi,

If you use the web-based article import plugin, the href tag will have to point to a web-based URL (as Alec's example says, http, https, ftp, ftps).

If you are using the command-line article import, you can point to local files stored on that server. At a previous institution we typically did this: we stored all ready-to-go files in one particular directory on the server (say /journals/files/); generated the xml file, with href tags pointing to those local files; and then imported the file using the command-line tool.

I don't believe you'll be able to point to files on your home machine, however.

James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Technical Support