OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

METS Export and Gateway Plugin for OCS

OCS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page. While these are OJS-specific, the OCS codebase is similar enough to OJS they should be of help. There is also an [url=http://pkp.sfu.ca/ocs_documentation[/url]OCS Documentation[/url] page with some more general documentation that might also be of interest.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OCS Technical Support subforum.

METS Export and Gateway Plugin for OCS

Postby Scott » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:32 pm

Hi,

I've attached a zip containing each plugin in a separate zip along with readme files as an install guide. At this stage we've only tested on simple conferences since none of our partner organisations have particularly complex conferences, so testing has been limited.

Our remit is only to archive the published papers, not recreate the the conference program and structure, so the export is fairly simplistic in its structure. However the program view is an alternative METS export I would like to see implemented but is not in scope for our current project. The METS used is a registered profile - the Australian METS Profile (see http://www.loc.gov/standards/mets/profi ... 00018.html)

The Australian METS profile model is a three-tier hierarchical model, the core profile (the one registered on LOC), content profiles which will also be registered as they become available (e.g. journal, image, conference, etc) and implementation profiles (e.g. OJS, OCS). There is a little more information about this at http://www.nla.gov.au/australianmetsprofile/ but there is still more information to be added. Ultimately we want to register a conference profile with LOC but due to time constraints won't get to this until next year.

Our developer came across two issues when writing these plugins:
1. the path to the gateway should perhaps always include a path to a Scheduled Conference Path
such as:
[OSC URL]/index.php/CCD/*<scheduled conf path>*/gateway/plugin/ConferenceExportPlugin/
Since OCS export plugins are conference-based (not scheduled conference-based), the scheduled conference path in the URL is probably not needed - I'm not sure if this is an OCS issue. Our plugin takes as parameters a) id of a scheduled conference to export; b) no parameters to export entire conference; or c) the word "current" to export the latest scheduled conference

2. $PaperFile->getFilePath() returns the incorrect path for Galley files because
$galley->setType($row['type']); is missing (type is not even fetched from the DB)

We are currently working on an OJS gateway/export version which I can also forward if you're interested once complete.

Please let me know if you have any questions, we hope that we can progress this so that these plugins can be consolidated into the core OCS (and OJS) code. If not we would be happy to make them available as optional plugins if you prefer. Leo has kept to the same code style used so hopefully that makes life easier. If the plugins are consolidated into the core, that will also be good in that the DOM generator classes are currently duplicated across the separate plugins, so would obviously be good to not have to do that.

Scott.
Attachments
OCS.zip
Zip file containing two zips, one for each plugin. a readme file is included in each for install guide
(18.71 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Scott

Re: METS Export and Gateway Plugin for OCS

Postby asmecher » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:20 am

Hi Scott,

Thanks for contributing! I'll make a note to review this for potential inclusion as we near the release of OCS 2.1.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Scott » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:40 pm

No worries, as I said we've only tested on really simple stuff so access to a more advanced setup would be great for testing. We also still need to develop and register a Conference METS Profile and an implementation Profile for conferences which would make it even better since it would then implement an open published standard (we're in the process of doing all this for journals). We're happy to make changes and take input, and as I said if you have some complex conference examples where the plugin could be installed and we could access that would be useful (sadly our partners only have simple examples, but maybe that's the norm!)
Scott

Postby Scott » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:22 pm

Hi,

Just an update, we're working on some mods for the OCS METS export plugin to do some nicer handling of html galley files. I expect that we will be posting both OCS and OJS METS export plugins early next year (end of Jan all going well). Will be in touch next year, have a great holiday break.

Scott.
Scott

Postby asmecher » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:53 pm

Hi Scott,

Sounds great! Have a good holiday. The CVS version of OCS 2 is currently a little rough, but you might want to start looking at it -- metadata storage has been heavily overhauled and multi-language support vastly improved. It will be necessary to change some things, but they are minor.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OCS Development