OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Abstract page moves to the left

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Abstract page moves to the left

Postby nef » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:12 am

Hi
I have only made a few changes to the common style sheet (see below). Nevertheless the frame on the abstract page moves to the left instead of staying centralized. The changes I've made shouldn't affect the frame settings.
You can see it here: https://ojs.statsbiblioteket.dk/index.p ... e/view/166
The pop-up windows from the Reading Tools section are also affected.

I have made the following changes in the style sheet:
body
background-color

#header
I use a background-image instead of background-collor

# header h1
I have set the padding to 0 0 0 0

#main h3
I have inserted a color

#navbar
I have changed the border-bottom from 2px dotted #000, to 1px solid #51735B

#content
I have changed the border-top from 2px dotted #000, to 1px solid #51735B

#content h3
Here I have changed the font-family, font-size and inserted color

table.listing td. headseparator
I have changed the border-top from 1px dotted #000, to 1px #51735B hidden

table.listing td.endseparator
I have changed the border-top from 1px dotted #000, to 1px #51735B

ul.menu li
I have changed the padding-right from 1.5em to 1.0em

That's all.
If you could tell me what to do to keep the abstract pages centered and the Reading Tools pages the right size, I would be very grateful
I have a lot of journals installed on one OJS setting, so I cannot make changes to the standard files.

Regards

P.S. I have tried to solve the problem without any luck. It seems as if the Abstract page can't get the css-code from the original css-file 'articleView.css'. Therefore - among other things - the body tag widens. That's not so good. How do I solve that problem?
nef

Re: Abstract page moves to the left

Postby ramon » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:08 am

Hello NEF,

You may want to check for typos in the css files, such as missing semi-colons (;) or curly braces ({ }).
Also, the order the files are loaded interferes with the rules.

You may have to change the original CSS files in order for changes to work.

I particularly haven't seen a problem with your layout, being in the system or the pop-up windows. The frame is supposed to be at the left. In my opinion, it is behaving as it should.
When viewing with larger screen resolutions everything moves to the right, centering the content within the frame. This is usually accomplished by setting the margin:auto; in CSS.
You may try percent values for your right and left margins (margin:0 3m 0 3em;) and see how that goes. However, you'll loose space doing so.
ramon

Postby nef » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:39 am

Hi Ramón
Thank you.
I have removed the width tags in my css. It solves most of the problems. Now I only have some smaller problems in Firefox. Here the pages 'Search' and 'Register' moves a little to the left compared to the other pages. I can't figure out why, I guess it's due to an error in the common.css, but I can live with it.

Regards
nef

Postby ramon » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:05 am

Hello NEF,

This is probably due to the fact that when viewing the article, the sidebar and article are within frames. This is to allow the PDF to be viewed along side the Reading Tools.
Meanwhile, when viewing other pages, they are all one structure, so they will tend to center differently, as they occupy more space.

Also, different browsers in different platforms (sometimes the same browser in different platforms) render CSS differently, and it takes a lot of work to get them to be almost identical. I don't know any rule of thumb except testing, over and over until you get tired or find a result that is acceptable.

I first try to clean up the CSS as much as I can, then build upon it to see what is rendered differently and work on many possible solutions, including changing source code output to fit my needs.
ramon

Return to OJS Technical Support