OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Order of appearance of back issues

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Order of appearance of back issues

Postby barnes » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:05 pm

I just uploaded a back issue and it now appears as the current issue, even though its publication date is clearly 2005. The listing of back issues shows them in this order: 2005, 2007, 2006. We plan to scan and upload several more back issues from 2004 back to 1998 or so. How do I get them to appear on the "Archive" page in the correct (chronological) order, and not displace the 2007 issue as the "Current" one?

Ian Barnes
Australian National University
barnes

Re: Order of appearance of back issues

Postby asmecher » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:57 pm

Hi Ian,

OJS 2.2, which will be released shortly, allows you to manually re-order issues; in the meantime, you'll need to do it manually using the MySQL client, MySQLAdmin, or another administration tool. You'll need to make sure that the "date_published" column in the issues table contains the correct values, and that the "current" column in the issues table is set to 1 only for the issue that you want to flag as the current issue.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby barnes » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:23 pm

Hi Alec,

Thanks for that. Any chance of doing it by exporting the issues and editing the XML? (I already did this to correct a wrong publication date.) Or do I really have to go into the database?

Ian
barnes

Postby asmecher » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:26 am

Hi Ian,

The XML export doesn't extract all the information in OJS, e.g. reviews and editing metadata aren't kept, so you'll lose those if you export and re-import. It's also fairly easy to clutter up your system with multiple versions of the same article, which can be a pain to clean up. If you've already got your issues in OJS, yes, you'll need to go into the database. It's not difficult, and I can provide more detailed instructions if you like.

If you don't have your issues in OJS yet, just make sure that your XML documents (if you're importing from XML) include the correct publication dates and remember that the last-published issue becomes the "current" issue.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby barnes » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:54 pm

Hi Alec,

Everything there was imported using the XML import, so there is no review and editing information to lose. On my first attempt to fix this, I exported the 2005 issue to XML, deleted it in OJS, edited the XML file (to change the publication date) and then imported it again. That worked for the publication date, but didn't fix the problem of the 2005 issue being the current issue when the 2006 and 2007 issues are newer. I wondered if exporting and deleting all three issues, then reimporting them in the right order (2005, 2006, 2007) would do the trick? Although I would then have to do it all over again when I want to add 2004, 2003, etc.

I can probably get permission to access the database, so yes, I'd greatly appreciate those detailed instructions.

Thanks,

Ian
barnes

Postby barnes » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:36 pm

Hi Alec,

Forget that. I got in with phpMyAdmin and changed the "current" field in the "issues" table. All fixed. Thanks for your help.

Ian
barnes

Return to OJS Technical Support