OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Install went well, but login problem persists...

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Install went well, but login problem persists...

Postby lotus » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:51 am

The install went without a hitch as I followed the instructions verbatim. Now I have the following error every time I log in:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@acrl.ala.org and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Matt
lotus

Re: Install went well, but login problem persists...

Postby asmecher » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:14 am

Hi Matt,

You're probably using a buggy version of Zend Optimizer. See if you can update to the most recent release, or disable the Optimizer for OJS. If neither of those is an option, I can suggest a work-around modification to OJS.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby lotus » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:13 am

Hi, and thanks. I honestly have no idea what Zend Optimizer is. I pulled the OCS install from the PKP website and put it up on our hosting service. What exactly is OJS?
lotus

Postby asmecher » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:31 pm

Hi Lotus,

Sorry, my typo -- OJS is our journal project, and OCS is our conference product. The same note applies equally to either. Zend Optimizer is Zend product used in some configurations to speed up PHP scripts; if you're on a shared host, that's likely out of your hands, so I'd suggest going with the work-around I'm about to describe.

You'll need to modify classes/db/DAO.inc.php and includes/functions.inc.php. The easiest way to do this is with the GNU patch tool, which is standard on most servers, by applying the patch at http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/download/patch/contrib/optimizer.diff.

If you don't have access to the patch tool, or if you're not familiar with it, you can apply the patch manually. Open it up in a text editor, and you'll see sections like this:
Code: Select all
@@ -129,7 +129,7 @@
         * @param $dbResultRange object the DBResultRange object describing the desired range
         */
        function &retrieveRange($sql, $params = false, $dbResultRange = null, $callHooks = true) {
-               if ($callHooks === true && checkPhpVersion('4.3.0')) {
+               if (false && $callHooks === true && checkPhpVersion('4.3.0')) {
                        $trace = debug_backtrace();
                        // Call hooks based on the calling entity, assuming
                        // this method is only called by a subclass. Results
These describe the changes that need to be made. Lines beginning with "@@" indicate line numbers -- ignore all except for the first number, in this case 129, which tells you the line number at which to start looking for changes to make. Lines beginning with "-" indicate a line of code to remove, lines beginning with "+" indicate a line of code to add, and the rest provide context. Therefore, the above sample tells you to look around line 129 for a line of code reading:
if ($callHooks === true && checkPhpVersion('4.3.0')) {
...and replace it with...
if (false && $callHooks === true && checkPhpVersion('4.3.0')) {
This should work around the Zend Optimizer bug.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support