OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

mySQL table rights for installation script

Open Harvester Systems support questions and answers, bug reports, and development issues.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome.

mySQL table rights for installation script

Postby fredriley » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:33 am

Hi

This isn't a support request, as much as a suggestion for documentation for PKP Open Harvester. There's nothing in the otherwise detailed documentation on the rights that the installation script requires to the mySQL database, which is a pain when, as in my case, someone else is the mySQL admin and s/he naturally wants to nail down rights to just what's necessary. By trying to run install on my user account on our University's Unix system, I've found that it requires 'create' rights, and once I got my admin to set those up I then found it needs 'alter' rights, so I'll have to get on to him about that and then run it again to see if any other rights are required. Can anyone tell me what rights are needed so that I don't have to keep bothering him?

Of course, when I installed it on my Macbook with all root privileges it installed fine, and runs like a dream, but most users won't have root access so it would be worth catering for them.

Otherwise, it's an excellent piece of software, and really has saved me having to write a harvester from scratch which would have taken weeks.

Cheers

Fred

PS: What rights will Harvester need during normal operation, after it's installed? I'm assuming that insert, update, delete, and select will be enough.
fredriley

Re: mySQL table rights for installation script

Postby asmecher » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:11 am

Hi Fred,

The PKP suite of software should only require the regular SELECT, UPDATE, INSERT, and DELETE rights during normal operation; upgrades will additionally require ALTER, CREATE, DROP, etc.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to Open Harvester Systems Support and Development