OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

unserialize() errors

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

unserialize() errors

Postby quinn » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:07 pm

Hello again,

When I browse certain pages on my OJS installation, I get unserialize() errors. The first one I noticed was on the author submission page (/index.php/journalname/author/submit/1). Here are the errors:

Notice: unserialize(): Error at offset 14 of 1558 bytes in /var/www/htdocs/ojs/ojs/classes/journal/JournalSettingsDAO.inc.php on line 95
Notice: unserialize(): Error at offset 14 of 166 bytes in /var/www/htdocs/ojs/ojs/classes/journal/JournalSettingsDAO.inc.php on line 95
Notice: unserialize(): Error at offset 5 of 79 bytes in /var/www/htdocs/ojs/ojs/classes/journal/JournalSettingsDAO.inc.php on line 95
Notice: unserialize(): Error at offset 14 of 59 bytes in /var/www/htdocs/ojs/ojs/classes/journal/JournalSettingsDAO.inc.php on line 95
Notice: unserialize(): Error at offset 14 of 64 bytes in /var/www/htdocs/ojs/ojs/classes/journal/JournalSettingsDAO.inc.php on line 95
Notice: unserialize(): Error at offset 14 of 59 bytes in /var/www/htdocs/ojs/ojs/classes/journal/JournalSettingsDAO.inc.php on line 95

I found a post on this forum regarding php upgrades and re-saving the language settings, so I tried that, but it did not solve the problem. It did, however, give another error page. When I use the Site Admin's language page, there is no problem, but when I go to the journal manager's language page, I get those exact same errors (same offsets and everything).

I have no extra languages installed (english is the primary language). It's OJS 2.1.1.0, on apache 1.3.31 with php 4.3.7.

I hope this is a new problem and I'm not just wasting threads ;)

Thanks again,
Quinn
quinn

Re: unserialize() errors

Postby asmecher » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:55 pm

Hi Quinn,

This probably relates to PHP updates just like the languages problem does, but this kind of problem will end up cropping up in a few places. Try running through your journal setup and reviewing the settings, particularly the author's submission checklist (which may disappear entirely if there is a serialization problem). Saving the pages will correct the problem, but of course it will overwrite your existing settings. If you've written up your own checklist and don't want to lose it, you can go into the journal settings cache file in cache/ for that particular journal and rescue the text from there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby quinn » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:31 pm

Hi Alec,

I forgot to mention that we haven't done anything to php itself since I installed, would this still be an issue? I'm going to go through the settings again as you suggest. Other than the visual error, I haven't noticed any malfunction related to this, is it something that would cause a problem somewhere?

Thanks yet again,
Quinn
quinn

Postby asmecher » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:36 pm

Hi Quinn,

Aside from a PHP upgrade, I'm not sure what would cause the problem; it would take some investigation of your journal settings cache. If the problem goes away when you've gone through the journal settings, I'd consider it to be a one-off glitch unless we hear otherwise.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support