OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Author access to reviews

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Author access to reviews

Postby tomwilson » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:32 am

I've trawled the forums for this one, found some peripherally related but not exactly what I need.

A paper has been reviewed and the editor's decision is 'Revisions required' - that decision is 'recorded' and the editor notifies the author, but the author is unable to access the reviews. The paper has not gone forward to the editing process, so no version has been selected for editing. How does the author access the reviews? I've taken the short cut of mailing the author the reviews outside the system, but I'm assuming that there's some switch I need to throw to enable authors to view reviews in these circumstances.
tomwilson

Re: Author access to reviews

Postby asmecher » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:11 am

Hi Tom,

Are the reviews entered via the comments box? If so, the Section Editor or Editor makes them available to the Author using the "Notify Author" link in the Editor Decision box; there's a button to import the peer reviews into the email template.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby tomwilson » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:33 am

Thanks for that - yes, that is probably the answer. As a team of editors and copy-editors (along with the authors and reviewers) we're having some difficulty in following the precise series of steps that is need to move a paper from one process to another. One special difficulty appears to be that authors don't find out how to submit a revised version of their paper, either for re-review or copy-editing and end up by making it a new submission. I've looked in 'OJS in an hour' and always refer people to that, but is there something more 'workflow' oriented that you would help to get the process ocross? What I'm thinking of is detailed instructions to the effect: when resubmitting a paper for re-review, do this....; when resubmitting a paper for copy-editing, do this..., etc.

Regards,

Tom
tomwilson

Postby asmecher » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:29 am

Hi Tom,

The best resource for users is currently the built-in help file. We've had a few requests for a simplified interface for authors, particularly when it comes to things like revisions, and we'll be reviewing that interface for a future release -- probably not the forthcoming OJS 2.2, but shortly thereafter.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby tomwilson » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:52 am

Thanks Alec - that's good to know. I think that authors in the case of Information Research need a clear interface that progresses them through the stages:

orginal submission>revised submission (for re-review)>revised submission for copy-editing>final submission of xhtml version

or

orginal submission>revised submission for copy-editing>final submission of xhtml version

We do copy-editing and proof-reading in one stage, rather than separate, and the layout stage is taken care of by the xhtml submission and subsequent preparation by the Editor for publication.

I think, that to a degree, OJS is still replicating the processes of print publication and perhaps not all of those stages are appropriate for all journals. Some greater degree of local customisation might help in this.

Regards,

Tom
tomwilson

Return to OJS Technical Support