OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Multiple Journals Setup: How do I add a link to sidebar?

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Multiple Journals Setup: How do I add a link to sidebar?

Postby rtcampos » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:45 am

Hello,

My OJS setup is multi-journals, say I have Journal1, Journal2, and Journal3 in one installation. I want to add a link "Manuscript Submission Form" in the sidebar that points to the different PDF pages of the submission forms.

How do I go about this?

I tried tweaking the sidebar.tpl file, I can put the link alright, but I don't know where to place the individual PDFs.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

RTC
rtcampos

Re: Multiple Journals Setup: How do I add a link to sidebar?

Postby asmecher » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:41 am

Hi RTC,

You can upload the PDFs directly into your OJS installation directory or, better yet, a subdirectory of it (e.g. called "misc").

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby rtcampos » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:29 pm

Thanks Alec.

My problem is, I have 3 different PDF files (these are manuscript submission forms) for each journal. When I put the link "Manuscript Submission Form" in the sidebar.tpl, I should be pointing to the appropriate PDF form specific for the journal I am currently in.

Sorry I am not really a programmer so any help on this matter (an example code tweak perhaps?) is highly appreaciated.

Thanks a lot again.

RTC
rtcampos

Postby asmecher » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:27 pm

Hi RTC,

I see. You should be able to use something like this to display the links:
Code: Select all
{if $currentJournal && $currentJournal->getPath() == 'myPath1'}<a href="...">Link for journal myPath1 here</a>
{elseif $currentJournal && $currentJournal->getPath() == 'myPath2'}<a href="...">Link for journal myPath2 here</a>
{elseif ...}
{/if}
...where myPath1 and myPath2 are the journal paths, which you can see in the URL or in the Site Administrator's "Hosted Journals" page for each journal.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby rtcampos » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:10 pm

Perfect, Alec !!!!!

One last thing: the link that I want to add now contains text which I want placed inside the 'body' space of the page (just how the About and Announcement pages are placed when their links are clicked).

I only want to use the (current journal-specific) header, footer, and sidebar links for my customized contents (similar to how wrappers work but not quite). Sorry but I am just starting to work on OJS and it's coding system is sort of alien to me, thus the not-so-steep learning curve.

Thanks a lot again, and more power to you all.

RTC
rtcampos

Postby asmecher » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:36 am

Hi RTC,

Sorry, not sure I'm following; where do you want the links added?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby rtcampos » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:09 pm

Hi Alec,

I want to put an Announcement type of content and I want it added (the link, I mean) in the sidebar (but I know now how to add the link). My task is basically how to add new (html) pages. I've been reading the support forum but I have not been successful yet.

Thanks in advance...

RTC
rtcampos

Postby asmecher » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:15 am

Hi RTC,

To add a new page with the OJS page layout etc., you'll need to add a new function to the handler class, and you'll need to make up a template file. The best thing to do is probably to use something like the contact information page in About as a template. Copy and rename the function contact() in pages/about/AboutHandler.inc.php, calling the new one e.g. myFunc(). Then change the name of the invoked template from about/contact.tpl to about/myFunc.tpl (for example). Then copy templates/about/contact.tpl to templates/about/myFunc.tpl and modify that template to include some new content. Then go to the contact page in About and change the "contact" part of the URL to "myFunc", and you should see your new page.

There's comprehensive information on this in the OJS Technical Reference, available from the Documentation section of the OJS homepage.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby rtcampos » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:58 pm

Thanks a lot, Alec.

Yes, I did read the tech reference guide, and it helped me start a bit. Your additional help facilitated the whole process, and with that I am very much grateful.

Sincerely,

RTC
rtcampos

Return to OJS Technical Support