OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Issue about the authority of editor role

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Issue about the authority of editor role

Postby tky » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:01 am

Hi, I used OJS for a while and confronted a problem about accessibility to edition process and history .
OJS gave the same authority to editor role.
Whether editors response for the same article or not, they can access the edition process and view the history of that article.
This may not prevent the possibility that when a author become the editor of this journal, he/she could know who ever reviewed his/her articles. If this happed, it may discredit the peer-review in anonymous.

I am wondering that if there can be any way to restrict the access authority of edition history by role and by user at the same time. The Editor can only access the edition process when he has editor role and view the articles he had edited.

I thought this setting could make OJS better.
If anyone know how to achieve this proposal, please tell me. Thanks.
TKY
tky

Re: Issue about the authority of editor role

Postby asmecher » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:49 am

Hi TKY,

There is currently no way to exclude an editor from accessing certain articles; I'd suggest using the Section Editor role in this case. Section Editors must be assigned to particular articles and cannot access unassigned articles.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby tky » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:34 pm

Thank you, Alec.
This may be the proper way to fix my problem, if OJS can't change it's design to Drupal-like authority system in this stage.

But if the edition process were just like what you said, I am wondering what jobs the real editor would have. If real editor only have Section Editor role, how he/she assign the edition job to himself/herself? Doesn't this means that there would be a super editor beyond all editors, who can view all edition process and history?

And if the real editor have both Editor and Section Editor roles, it can't prevent the result we don't want: it may discredit the peer-review in anonymous.

So, is there any suggestion for me to design a ideal way which could set the edition process down and keep all access authorities differently by user and user role?

Thanks again.

TKY[:)]
tky

Postby asmecher » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:53 am

Hi tky,

The easiest way to address this without dropping that user to a Section Editor role would simply be to enforce that they cannot view submissions which are marked as "theirs" (e.g. authorship, as indicated by the user_id column in the articles table). Is this a hypothetical situation, or are you actually in the position of bringing a previous Author on as Editor for the journal?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby tky » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:54 am

Hi, Alec:
Thank you for your continued reply. My English is not very well, so maybe my expression didn't reflect my intention totally.

The hypothetical situation is hypothetical for now only; my journal editor and manager worried that if the editors of journal will change every few years, the security of review datum and history may go into risk. And our academic circle and population are very small, there is a high possibility for us to choice the authors we have to be our editors.
So, this is not just a "hypothetical" situation for us.

On the other hand, you told me: "The easiest way to address this without dropping that user to a Section Editor role would simply be to enforce that they cannot view submissions which are marked as "theirs" (e.g. authorship, as indicated by the user_id column in the articles table".
I agree with that, but I don't know how to do that?
Is there any option or setting in OJS manager UI could make this happen?
Or it's just a idea that OJS will forward in next version?

Thanks a lot

TKY
tky

Postby asmecher » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:59 am

Hi TKY,

Yes, this definitely looks like a buggy var_export function. You can confirm with a test script:
Code: Select all
<?php echo var_export('This\'s got an apostrophe in it'); ?>
At a glance, I don't see any signs of this being a general PHP bug, so I suspect that your ISP has overridden this function with something broken. Try contacting them with the above test script as proof and see if they are able to help.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby tky » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:46 pm

Good morning, Alec:

Thank you for the reply and the code.
But I am not sure about what I should do.

Let me figure it out: is the code a bug-fixing code or a source code in the initial OJS?
If it is a bug-fixing code, where I should put it into?

And second, is this code used for the Editor Role, keeping them access to their works only, not to every editions?
Or it is just for the Section Editor Role?
If it is for the latter, it still not fit my need.

In fact, I am the web site manager and I didn't hack the code of OJS.
I just changed some CSS codes and layouts of OJS.
I am wondering how to rewrite some codes to make it fit our needs.

Thanks again.
TKY
tky

Postby asmecher » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:04 pm

Hi TKY,

Sorry, but due to either phpBB or my own mistake, the above post is actually part of a different thread.

I'd suggest that we revisit this issue when it becomes a problem; if by that point there isn't a solution as part of OJS, I'll be able to suggest a temporary modification that will maintain integrity until a solution is shipped with OJS.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion