OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Archiving articles from a previous print journal

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Postby Frank » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:54 pm

I am trying to archive articles (in pdf format) from a print journal that I am helping to turn into an OJS publication. Is there a more direct or efficient way to complete this task beyond me signing in as an author and submitting each pdf, and then signing in as an editor and publishing, then finally archiving each? All thoughts are appreciated.

Frank
Frank

Postby kevin » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:17 pm

A script ("xmlimport.php") is included with OJS to import past issues from an XML file (which you must construct). See the note in docs/EXTRA
kevin

Postby frank » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:53 pm

Kevin,

Thank you for promptly responding. As I am new to XML, it's taken me a while to familiarize myself with the logistics of converting and importing the file formats with which I am working.

Do you know if Endnote or Filemaker have export templates compatible with the OJS XML template?

Thanks

Frank
frank

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:04 am

We're trying to do the same thing.

Is there no way besides producing an XML file? Our IT person is very busy.

Can't we just do it as an admin and bypassing the submission process?

Thanks.

Postby kevin » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:00 pm

Yes, submitting and publishing the articles manually is certainly another way to do it.
kevin

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:22 pm

Thanks.

What I was hoping was that we could bypass the submission process altogether.

Publishing Previous issues

Postby ramon » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:14 am

Dear OJS users,

Only to warn you of certain steps you should follow to avoid too much database clean-up:

1 - Do not go online until you have all previous issues in the system;
2 - Register all authors and submit the articles as the author (remember to not use their real e-mail!!)
3 - You may either change the numbering when publishing or create the issues manually in the database, but you should update the submission and publication dates in the database for statistic purposes.
4 - Before launching the system, update user profiles with the correct email
5 - After launch, send the user general email to prevent author duplication...

That's pretty much it...
ramon

Postby bert » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:29 pm

When I try and create new volumes/issues in the database they are placed at the end of the newer ones despite trying to change the Issue ID ... How can I change this?
bert

Previous Issues

Postby ramon » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:47 am

Bert,

You may update manually in the database the following fields:

bCurrentEdIssue=0

bPublished = 1

bLive = 0

You may also want to update the publishing date, in the correct format.

dtDatePublished=2004-12-10 12:19:31
ramon

Bypass submission

Postby mikael » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:10 am

kevin wrote:Yes, submitting and publishing the articles manually is certainly another way to do it.

At Copenhagen Business School Library we have just installede OJS as well and want to up load a bunch of back files for a printed journal who wants to go online. I am not quite sure what you mean by submitting and publishing manually. At least I seem to loop around in the submission flow with out ever getting the old issues published. There must be an easier way - please :?

Also I really like the interface for OJS but I have some danish no peer reivew journals that I would really like to use OJS for. Again it would be great if I could just manage volumes and files and the web site without ever getting into the review part :)

ps. thanks for the manual its really easy to use :)
mikael

xmlimport?

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:11 am

kevin wrote:A script ("xmlimport.php") is included with OJS to import past issues from an XML file (which you must construct). See the note in docs/EXTRA

Hi all,

I cannot find the note referenced above. I have looked within my install and on the PKP-CVS for more information regarding article-level xml import... I seem to be missing something. I see so "EXTRA" within docs.

If anyone has example xml articles, docs, dtds or schemas and best practices for importing to ojs2, I would appreciate.

Thanks much,
Eric

Re: xmlimport?

Postby kevin » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:02 pm

If anyone has example xml articles, docs, dtds or schemas and best practices for importing to ojs2, I would appreciate.

This thread is only applicable to OJS 1.x.

Importing tools will be included with the next release of OJS 2.
kevin

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion