OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

[SOLVED] NotifyUsers problem

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

[SOLVED] NotifyUsers problem

Postby SergioRuiz » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:56 am

Hi there!

I'm using Open Journal Systems 2.1.1.0 and I have a problem when using "Notify users" tools. Basically the message would never go out.

I've tried to "recover lost password" tool and I get a message asking me to change my password, so I guess is not a mail server problem. I don't get any error and nothing appears in error.log or access.log or even mail.error.log etc. I'm completely lost.

A possible reason is that the systems find an invalid email address and it just stops, but I couldn't find any wrong address in the database.

Any orientation would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

Sergio Ruiz
Last edited by SergioRuiz on Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
SergioRuiz

Re: NotifyUsers problem

Postby asmecher » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:07 am

Hi Sergio,

Is it possible that 1) the email is getting trapped by the spam filter, or 2) your mail server restricts outgoing messages to a certain number of recipients?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby SergioRuiz » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:51 am

I don't think so... I'm not getting anything from postfix logs... Is there a way to activate debug or a verbose when clicking on submit?
SergioRuiz

Postby SergioRuiz » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:08 am

Ok... some more information. If I mark the option "only notify users that wanted to be informed" (150 users), the message goes out without any problem. But when choosing "notify to all users" (424 users) it just doesn't send anything. To me it appears as there is an email address with a problem and it stops...

Question is... how are users records recovered from the database in order to send the message, ordered by id? alphabetically?

Thanks again for your help,

Sergio Ruiz
SergioRuiz

Postby asmecher » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:25 am

Hi Sergio,

There were a few escaping fixes introduced since version 2.1.1 was released; you could try installing the most recent version of classes/mail/Mail.inc.php from http://pkp.sfu.ca/cvs/cvsweb.cgi/ojs2/classes/mail/Mail.inc.php.

Note that execution timeouts as defined in php.ini are often encountered by the mass mailing code; this could also be causing the problem.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Re: [SOLVED] NotifyUsers problem

Postby SergioRuiz » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:08 am

I've got it! There was one email address that was at the same server and didn't exist anymore... So when the system started to send messages and it arrived to this particular address, it just stopped and didn't send any message.

Thanks a lot for your help...

Sergio Ruiz

p.d.: by the way... I don't know exactly how OJS works, but in the past I found that sending massive emails (10000 recipients) at once didn't work, as the mail system may collapse, so the best option is to do it like 100 messsages, 5 seconds stop, 100 messages... and so on. Do we have some information on a journal using OJS with a massive users database? Does it work fine?
SergioRuiz

Re: [SOLVED] NotifyUsers problem

Postby asmecher » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:21 am

Hi Sergio,

Glad to hear the problem is solved. FYI, the mass mailing code in CVS has been overhauled and this will be released with OJS 2.2.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support