OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Organi[sz]ing team

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Organi[sz]ing team

Postby ale » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:03 am

Hi,

I've got an ocs2 install here at bristol university, and for one of 2 conferences in process of setting up so far, the organizing team prefer to be referred to as "conference committee".

How do I change this for only this conference?

Also, how do I change all other conferences to have more of a UK-english spelling? I'm currently looking to edit pages/about/AboutHandler.inc.php and I guess any references to it in the language area. Is this the right way to do it?

Thanks!

Ale
ale

Re: Organi[sz]ing team

Postby asmecher » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:11 am

Hi Ale,

The best way to go about this cleanly is probably with a plugin. Because this is probably a good example for others to use, I've put one online at http://pkp.sfu.ca/ocs/download/contrib/keyChange.tar.gz -- extract the archive in your plugins/generic directory. Have a look at the code and fine-tune it to suit your needs (e.g. change the path of the conference in the "case" statement to your own conference path for the one that needs different wording).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby ale » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:26 am

Hi,

Thanks for the plugin! I have to admit it's a bit more complex than OCS1's simple drop-the-file-in-the-dir approach, but probably much less messy code wise...

The problem is I changed the conference name it was meant for, loaded it, then went to the conference's plugin page and made sure it was coming up. Sure enough, it changed the wording in the admin areas, but the scheduled conference's about/organizingTeam page was still obviously linked and headed with the old wording. How do I change this via the plugin - is there an API or should I just look through?

Thanks,

Ale
ale

Postby asmecher » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:36 am

Hi Ale,

The provided code is just a sample that overrides a single locale key; you'll also need to override one called "about.organizingTeam" in a similar fashion. The reason this is more complicated than you'd anticipated is that you're in a position where simply modifying the code wouldn't work, because you need different behavior depending on which conference you're viewing. If all conferences were OK with the new wording, it would be a simple change in the locale/en_US/locale.xml locale file.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby ale » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:34 am

Ah, thanks, that may be easier - although I do foresee that if we get more conferences it might be a more frequent thing to do, so I'll give what you say a try just for experience, as well as changing the locale - is it worth setting up a new one for an EN-UK locale?

Ale
ale

Postby asmecher » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:57 am

Hi Ale,

It takes a lot of work to maintain a locale file, and I suspect it's not worth the trouble given the minor differences, so I'd suggest sticking with en_US for now. Perhaps at some point in the future we can come up with a way to generate an en_UK locale automatically given a few rules. If you'd like to keep some notes on things that need changing, that might be useful. Here in Canada we mostly use UK spelling anyway, so I suspect the locale file is some mixture of US and UK spelling.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support