OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Installation help

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Installation help

Postby newbie2007 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:25 pm

Hello all,
Iam newbie here and how to work with OJS.I want to implement OJS on local computer.
I have installed latest Apache,php and mysql on ubuntu desktop.followed the steps based on th readme

1.downloaded the OJS and extracted to this directory /var/www.
2. make the file and directory writeable
Here I have checked the files and directory,and I gues there are writeable(I can see "w")
for example config.inc.php (-rw-r--r--)
public (drwxr-xr-x)
Can I leave it like this or I have to change? what to change?.
3. creating directory to store uploaded files,can I create in /var/directory to store the files?

4. to open the browser here means I have to use http://localhost/ path/to/ojs?. which path?

Please, I need your help.
Thanking in advance for your help
ud
newbie2007

Re: Installation help

Postby newbie2007 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:37 am

please,can anyone give me hints.sorry for disturbing
thank you again
newbie2007

Re: Installation help

Postby ramon » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:06 am

Newbie,

Installing OJS should be pretty straight forward. You got the most difficult part ready, which is setting up the server (although Linux's apt-get does everything for your).

Check the ojs2/docs/README for instructions. The most important thing is to allow read/write access to the Apache user (you'll need to figure out what that user is, usually www-data on latest Ubuntu installs).
You can set the file permissions to 755 or 775, but you could be more restrictive with the groups.

For security reasons, the submissions folder should not have web access, and somewhere the Apache user has read/write permissions and should/could be the owner of.

The URL will depend on what settings you have. If you didn't rename the folder, it usually is http://localhost/ojs-2.1.1 (also depends on the release...).

From then on, follow the form instructions....

Note: You should set up your HTTPD.conf file to set the default charset to UTF-8 on the OJS folder, and set all UTF-8 options in the form, to avoid character misconfiguration problems.
ramon

Return to OJS Technical Support