OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Portuguese Language Characters Support

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Portuguese Language Characters Support

Postby vinicius_gagliotti » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:23 am

Hello,

I have just installed OJS 2.0 on my web server, and it's working ok. However, when I enter some special characters from portuguese language (ç,ã,á) at site settings fields, like "title" for example, it does not save them rightly at the database and, consequently, shows them wrongly at the pages. I realize the system does not come with portuguese language translation, but we need those characters to work. My config.inc.php charset configurations are all set to "utf-8".

Is there any other configuration or adjust I have to set to make them work?

I really appreciate any help on this question!!

Thanks!
vinicius_gagliotti

Re: Portuguese Language Characters Support

Postby asmecher » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:32 am

Hi vinicius_gagliotti,

If you've just changed your connection character set configuration, you may have to temporarily disable persistent connections in config.inc.php to allow previously-opened connections (which may have different character set options) to expire. Once you've done this, try entering new UTF8 data, e.g. by editing the metadata of a submission, and seeing if the database is populated correctly. You may also have to make sure the database itself is configured with the right character set, i.e. in MySQL:
Code: Select all
CREATE DATABASE something DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8;
It's also worth double-checking that your PHP and DBMS can actually support UTF8 natively -- from docs/README:
Server requirements for full Unicode (UTF-8) support:

* MySQL >= 4.1.1 or PostgreSQL >= 7.1
* PHP >= 4.3.0 compiled with support for the mbstring library
Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby vinicius_gagliotti » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:07 pm

Alex,

thanks for your quick answer.

About the system requirements you've mentioned, it's ok. In fact, we have OJS 2.0 running on this same server, and the characters work fine. I compared the both config.inc.php system files (OJS's and OCS's) and they have exactly the same charset configuration, but the OJS has the translation for the portuguese language.

I didn't actually changed the charset configuration, since it's the same of OJS's and works fine on it.
vinicius_gagliotti

Postby asmecher » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:47 pm

Hi vinicius_gagliotti,

Sorry, I'm confused now -- you are running both OJS 2.x and OCS 2.x? Which one are you having trouble with? The original post mentions OJS (and this forum is for OJS support), but the last post says OJS is working fine.

If it's OCS 2.0 that you're having trouble with, see http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1909 -- commenting out lines 93-108 in classes/form/Form.inc.php may correct the problem.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support