OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

see revised versions in editor/submissions/submissionsInRevi

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

see revised versions in editor/submissions/submissionsInRevi

Postby jmir » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:52 am

The table for the editor (or section editor) which dumps a list of data on "submissions in review" (editor/submissions/submissionsInReview) presents a significant challenge for the editor, because - while it can be seen if/when an article has been reviewed as well as the ruling date - it is not visible in this table if the author has submitted a revised version after the initial ruling.
I don't know how the PKP developers envisioned this to work, but currently the editor (me!) has to click regularly through the 30 or so articles in the submission queue on a regular basis to find out which authors have responded to the initial ruling and have uploaded a revised manuscript, which is an extremely tedious process, and as the submission backlog becomes longer, it becomes worse. The problem is compounded by the inability to search for manuscripts which require editor action (initial ruling date < last submitted version date).
Is there a hack available that would display subsequent file versions (date of submission) in the SUBMIT column, so that the editor can see if revised versions are present without having to click through all manuscripts one by one? Or a hack to allow a query as indicated above (initial ruling date < last submitted version date).

I think either of these would be extremely important.
jmir

Re: see revised versions in editor/submissions/submissionsInRevi

Postby asmecher » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:00 am

Hi Gunther,

We're intending to approach this using colour-coding for the next release; see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2683. We had originally anticipated that authors would be in contact with editors to notify them of a newly uploaded version, but that hasn't tended to happen, so we'll be addressing the problem soon.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Re: see revised versions in editor/submissions/submissionsInRevi

Postby jmir » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:41 am

Thanks. I am glad that this has been recognized as a to-do item. I still think that an output of the date of the last versions of the revised files would be a good solution (in addition to highlighting). (BTW In our case, the additional problem is that we already use color-highlighting for fast-tracked papers.)

I think a patch would be quite easy to do, but the database is so complex that I haven't figured out yet how to query the database for the dates of the latest author versions (I need a quick fix as my submission queue is getting out of control).

Your initial thinking that authors inform the editor works in our case (authors do notify the editor), but neglects the fact that the editor will usually not drop everything else immediately when an author email arrives, but defers looking at the ms and the author comments (it is a time-consuming process, and one needs to have a couple of hours time for this). If the editor has to keep a separate list of to-do items (or has to search his email), then this defies the purpose of an ms management system.

So bottom line is, I am grateful that this will be addressed, but still if you can come up with the code that looks up the dates of the latest submitted versions so that we can fiddle this into the table, that would be great.

asmecher wrote:Hi Gunther,

We're intending to approach this using colour-coding for the next release; see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2683. We had originally anticipated that authors would be in contact with editors to notify them of a newly uploaded version, but that hasn't tended to happen, so we'll be addressing the problem soon.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
jmir

Return to OJS Technical Support