OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

CVS running okay?

General inquiries about the PKP.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, vgabler, barbarah, John

Forum rules
Feel free to post general inquiries about the PKP Here. We'll also post notes of interest from time to time. You may also want to check out the PKP blog.

CVS running okay?

Postby spatialguru » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:41 pm

Hi guys, I'm wanting to check out CVS versions of the codebase for OJS and OCS. I found the instructions for OJS and have tried them out. I've used CVS a fair bit on other projects, but found I had to manually kill my initial checkout as it got stalled on some file. I restarted the checkout and it got further, but stalled again. Finally after three attempts, I've got all the code now :)

I tried from a different client (a hosted machine across the country) in case it was a local issue, but had similar troubles there.

Any pointers?
spatialguru

Re: CVS running okay?

Postby asmecher » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:59 pm

Hi spatialguru,

I use CVS daily, and it's not behaving differently than in the past; perhaps try it again in a few days and see if the result is the same? It could be a temporary network issue or something similar.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby spatialguru » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:12 pm

I was able to update earlier this morning, from a local PC - it took over a minute just to connect it seems.

But it stalls too long when trying from another (remote) server:
Code: Select all
 cvs [update aborted]: connect to lib-pkp.lib.sfu.ca(142.58.211.125):2401 failed: Connection timed out

I assume if I find a way to extend the timeout for my cvs client it might end up connecting? Is it usually this slow?
spatialguru

Postby asmecher » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:31 pm

Hi spatialguru,

That is unusual; I usually tunnel my CVS requests through SSH (since I'm using an authenticated account), but I just tried anonymous CVS and didn't have any trouble. A timed-out login process is definitely unusual. Unfortunately, all I can do is guess at the cause. Does it happen consistently? Are you using the command-line CVS tool, or a GUI tool?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby spatialguru » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:35 pm

Yes, it is certainly feeling consistent - I've been struggling for a few days with it.

I'm using command line cvs commands, one on mac and the other on red hat enterprise. So that's the weird thing from my angle, the mac one will finish just takes a minute or two. But the linux one times out.
spatialguru

Postby asmecher » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:00 pm

Hi spatialguru,

Sounds like a network problem on your RHEL machine or something similar. Try "telnet lib-pkp.lib.sfu.ca 2401" and, if you're able to connect, type in a single line of junk (e.g. "something"). You should get a CVS error message. If not, you've got some sort of network problem.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to General Discussion