OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

LDAP Plugin from OJS?

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

LDAP Plugin from OJS?

Postby spatialguru » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:26 pm

Hi, I'm just learning OJS and have used the LDAP plugin. Is it possible to use this also with OCS?
spatialguru

Postby asmecher » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:07 pm

Hi spatialguru,

The LDAP plugin has not yet been ported to OCS; however, porting it should be a fairly straight-forward task. I've filed an entry in Bugzilla for the next release (see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2929); if you're interested in porting the plugin yourself, I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby spatialguru » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:10 am

Thanks Alec,
I've copied over the auth/ldap plugin from OJS to OCS, and I enable it on the site, but apart from that I don't know what else needs to be done. Any hints for me? :) It all appears to work, but logins fail, so I guess it is not actually working.

btw, I'm in Vancouver for a couple days if anyone wants to get together to chat. I think I'm near SFU actually (Wosk center/Delta). I'd love to see OCS used for managing an annual conference I work with.
spatialguru

Postby asmecher » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:22 am

Hi spatialguru,

Have you checked the "Authentication Sources" link in the Site Administrator's home?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby spatialguru » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:07 am

Yes, and in the authentication sources list it is shown there as an option. I have edited the settings there to exactly match what I'm currently using for OJS (which is working really well with LDAP).

Are you suggesting that it should just be that easy to install the auth. source for OCS? :)
spatialguru

Postby asmecher » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:15 am

Hi Spatialguru,

The OCS 2.x code was forked from the OJS tree around the release of OJS 2.1.1, long after the LDAP code was merged into OJS, so while the LDAP plugin isn't officially part of the OCS distribution, it should simply be a drop-in replacement. That said, it hasn't been tested with OCS before so a few hiccoughs wouldn't surprise me. Just to confirm: all your OCS auth settings match those that are working in OJS. Are you trying to authenticate an account that already exists in OJS against the newly-configured LDAP authentication source? You may need to edit the account as Journal Manager to choose the new authentication source.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby spatialguru » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:39 pm

Yes, the auth settings are identical, even in the db auth_sources table, the entries are the same between ojs and ocs.

Also the user has LDAP chosen as their auth type.

But forget that for now... let me take some baby steps, since I think I'm suffering from long-time-away-from-this syndrome... I'll try to ask one question at a time :)

I have an LDAP backend that already has users. I don't want to have them re-register on ojs/ocs since they already have an account in our groups ldap directory. I'd simply like them to login with their existing ldap account info and have it create a new user entry in ojs/ocs. That is, without them having to hit the register button.

Is this possible?
spatialguru

Postby spatialguru » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:03 pm

After reading a few other threads, I see that this is currently not possible.

So that means I need to register each user automatically by inserting user records from LDAP->ojs/ocs users tables. No problem.

So now I'm testing using LDAP plugin to create new user accounts. I have it working perfectly with OJS. I create a new user, and if it doesn't exist in LDAP, it creates it. However, this does not work in OCS.

I'm still digging into logs to see why it fails, but there is nothing obvious going on.

So this is so much a question, but just a clarification that with the exact same ldap settings, OCS won't do what OJS does when registering a new user.
spatialguru

Postby asmecher » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:37 pm

Hi spatialguru,

I've created a Bugzilla entry for this; see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2960. Sign yourself up on the CC list for that entry, and hopefully I'll have a chance to look into it further soon.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support