OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

moving journal from one OJS to another

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

moving journal from one OJS to another

Postby nrj » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:07 am

I've been reading about this in the forum and can see that you recommend we use standard tools for doing this. However, we have multiple journals using a single OJS instance and we want to move a journal that's been running on its own into our instance. A faculty member has grown tired of managing his server and wants to use ours.

My current concern is whether the duplicate article numbers will be a problem - since they will live in that journal's article folder/directory, maybe not, but perhaps there are other places where the duplication may cause problems?

Nancy

p.s. great to see you in person at the conference!
nrj

Postby asmecher » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:42 am

Hi Nancy,

Yes, duplicate IDs will certainly be a problem. Does the faculty member need to preserve all data, e.g. editing history etc? If not, a much easier method would be to use the OJS import/export tools to export all published issues from the old machine and import them onto the new one.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project
asmecher

Postby nrj » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:50 am

He doesn't actually publish his journal in OJS; it's a Sage journal. :-) OJS is for the management and scheduling - so it's submissions and stuff in review about which I am concerned.
Nancy
nrj

Postby asmecher » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:04 pm

Hi Nancy,

Unfortunately, this is going to be a tough one. You'll need to change the values of all AUTOINCREMENT columns in the journal you're going to import, as they must be unique. You'll also need to change all columns that refer to those AUTOINCREMENT values. Do you have anyone on hand who is experienced with MySQL?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby nrj » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:15 pm

Hi Alec,

I do have a very good mysql support person, but it sounds like you are saying that if there aren't too many we should do this move manually - copying the journal set-up by pasting the settings thru the interface, and then setting up user accounts (actually we probably can export and import the users, at least :-) ), then logging in as the submitters, editors etc. to upload their papers, reviews etc. using the queues in the current system to check our work.

Nancy
nrj

Postby asmecher » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:09 pm

Hi Nancy,

That will definitely be a less technically involved solution; run the options by your MySQL resource along with the number of submissions, and if you do decide to go the less-manual route, I can help.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Re: moving journal from one OJS to another

Postby MMeijer » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:49 am

Hi Alec,

I would like to import a complete journal from an external (2.1.0.1) OJS installation to our own, and I am thinking of the following procedure:
1. import the sql dump of the external database into a temporary OJS 2.1.0.1 installation on some local server
2. upgrade this temporary OJS installation to current level
3. use sql script to increment all autoincrement ids of journal, issues, articles (and all references to these!!) etc. to levels that do not conflict with our own journals, issues, articles, etc.
4. sql dump this and import into our current OJS 2.1.1.0 installation.

May be first :oops: : 0. backup our current installation ...
I was wondering if you might already have such script mentioned in 3. and have any additional tips, tricks and precautions?

Thanks!
Maarten

Update: forgot to mention that -of course- the [files] directory must be copied and renamed. (M)
MMeijer

Re: moving journal from one OJS to another

Postby asmecher » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:16 am

Hi Maarten,

That sounds like a good plan to me. If I were to do this, I'd probably use a simple PHP script for several reasons -- one, it's possible to use symbolic constants from OJS (e.g. ROLE_ID_...) in the script rather than their numeric equivalents, which makes it easier to maintain; two, you'd be able to write a query to determine the next available ID, e.g. for article IDs, so that you're not just adding an arbitrary number; and three, the script would be able to perform the migration "live", i.e. you'd be able to get it to connect to both databases at once and perform the migration directly rather than via some process of dumping and loading text files.

The FK fields in OJS are fairly straight-forward and consistently named, with one or two exceptions: the columns named "assoc_id". The table to which an assoc_id refers is determined by the assoc_type field, which takes values from PHP constants like ARTICLE_LOG_TYPE_EDITOR.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support