OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Article listing in Table of Contents

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Article listing in Table of Contents

Postby ramon » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:08 pm

Dear OJSers,

Just a little enhancement:

Could the article listing be more intuitive and interactive, with possibility of listing alphabetically or submission date or author (don't know about all the options, but alphabetical and submission date are important to editors).

A single command action could create the listing for the editor. Organizing the TOC manually, especially with large issues or when publishing past issues the process may become cumbersome and not pleasant at all...
ramon

Postby asmecher » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:20 pm

Hi Ramón,

Do you mean the editors' submission lists (e.g. the Editor's "Unassigned" list)?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Table of Contents

Postby ramon » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:27 pm

Hi Alec,

I really meant the Table of Contents of an Issue. The only ordering tools available are the up and down arrows.

With over 20 articles to order, if you want them alphabetically for example, it is a bit painful to accomplish.

For example, PHPMYADMIN allows to order the results by the headers of the table.

In OJS's table of contents, Order , Author and Title would be interactive with up and down arrows themselves, so that you could list the article by those headers.

I don't know how complicated it would be to generate the published table of contents after that...
ramon

Postby asmecher » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:43 pm

Hi Ramón,

We've briefly discussed adding an AJAX-based tool to help organize things like the Table of Contents with something like a drag-and-drop interface; it's not a priority yet but I can foresee it becoming important over the next few releases.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
asmecher

Continuing in a similar theme: can the default be changed?

Postby Tony Roberts » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:32 pm

Hi,
I allocate page numbers in the order that articles are finalised, then publish the articles immediately. The problem is that in Scheduling, when I publish an article, the article by default is put at the top of the table of contents, whereas I want it at the bottom. I consequently am swapping each and every article, step by step, from the top of the table of contents to the bottom. This is extremely onerous. Is there a way to get each article added to the bottom of the table of contents?

For example, I publish proceedings of conferences in OJS and there might be n=80 articles published which means I have to do a total of about n^2/2=3,200 swaps to get the table of contents in order.

Tony
Tony Roberts

Postby asmecher » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:54 pm

Hi Tony,

OJS 2.1.1 should be adding new articles to the bottom of the section's set of articles. What version of OJS are you using? If you are using version 2.1.1, could you describe the process you're following, i.e. are you scheduling articles against published issues, or is this before they're published?

Regards,

Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
---
asmecher

Postby Tony Roberts » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:26 pm

From the file docs/RELEASE we seem to be using 2.1.0

OJS 2.1.0 Release Notes
CVS tag: ojs-2_1_0-1
Release date: February 3, 2006

What is the easiest way to proceed from here?
Tony
Tony Roberts

Postby asmecher » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:01 am

Hi Tony,

The most recent release, OJS 2.1.1, adds new articles to the bottom of the TOC. There is upgrade documentation in docs/UPGRADE, but briefly, the upgrade is a two-step process -- first you need to download and install the new code, and then you need to run the upgrade script to bring your database up-to-date. Make sure you back up your installation before beginning.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
---
asmecher

Return to OJS Development