OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

customization

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

customization

Postby henrylo » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:05 am

There are some questions I would like to ask to see if anybody have any insight to these customization.

1. If a file size must be shown to all users (submission/upload for reviews/editors, web visiters, e.g.), where is the best place to put a php filesize() function to log/track the file size to the database?

2. Is it true that, users in the tblusers must be present in order to show the name in the author index? After importing all the journal volume/issue, author detail and so on, each author become a user. Due to some data collecting issue, I would like to remove all the authors from the tblusers and modify the search.php so that I can use the data in tblmedaauthors to construct the author index. I tried for some time by replacing all the tblusers entry in the script to tblmetaauthors but I am still not be able to make it. The index is empty.

3. The setting at this moment is Php 5.0 mysql 4.13beta with apache 2.0.50 on a windows 2003 server. The technical administrator in my workplace ask me to use the built in SMTP virtual server in IIS 6 for OJS email sending. I would like to know what do I need to set in this case so as to make the things work smooth....? My own choice is a "hermes" small email servers and it have been works great. Sigh...why IIS6 :'(

Due to time issue, I think I need some advice on these issues because I am sure some of you have a better understanding than me and more important point is experts here can provide higher quality solutions. Thank you very much. @.@
henrylo

Re: customization

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:08 pm

henrylo wrote:1. If a file size must be shown to all users (submission/upload for reviews/editors, web visiters, e.g.), where is the best place to put a php filesize() function to log/track the file size to the database?

In terms of database it could be added to the articles table, but this could affect later upgrades.

The Author Submission Guidelines is the place to define such ideas for the authors. During submission the file size is shown after upload.

You may also control through the php variables and inform that to the user in the guidelines.

henrylo wrote:2. Is it true that, users in the tblusers must be present in order to show the name in the author index? After importing all the journal volume/issue, author detail and so on, each author become a user. Due to some data collecting issue, I would like to remove all the authors from the tblusers and modify the search.php so that I can use the data in tblmedaauthors to construct the author index. I tried for some time by replacing all the tblusers entry in the script to tblmetaauthors but I am still not be able to make it. The index is empty.

The metadata information usually is static for the article it relates to. This means that the author information may change, but the metadata for previous submissions does not, as preservation of that info.
However, the author index is created from the users table, not metadata table, because there lies the most current information about the author. If for some reason the co-authors are not being added to the users table there may be a browser incompatibility. I believe they are added to the users table as well. Kevin should confirm or deny this.

I did not use the xmlimport feature for it would have taken me longer to create that for each issue. I use the system to feed previous issues, and update the author id's in the respective tables to solve the index problem. Also, only published articles create the index.

henrylo wrote:3. The setting at this moment is Php 5.0 mysql 4.13beta with apache 2.0.50 on a windows 2003 server. The technical administrator in my workplace ask me to use the built in SMTP virtual server in IIS 6 for OJS email sending. I would like to know what do I need to set in this case so as to make the things work smooth....? My own choice is a "hermes" small email servers and it have been works great. Sigh...why IIS6 :'(

This is for Kevin to answer, for I don't use IIS for anything. If you have SMTP configured you could redirect apache or the sendmail function in php to use the SMTP. That shouldn't be to difficult.

henrylo wrote:Due to time issue, I think I need some advice on these issues because I am sure some of you have a better understanding than me and more important point is experts here can provide higher quality solutions. Thank you very much. @.@

I hope this was helpful. Kevin and John surely will provide further explanations and solutions for you..

Good luck,

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:07 pm

Anonymous wrote:
henrylo wrote:2. Is it true that, users in the tblusers must be present in order to show the name in the author index? After importing all the journal volume/issue, author detail and so on, each author become a user. Due to some data collecting issue, I would like to remove all the authors from the tblusers and modify the search.php so that I can use the data in tblmedaauthors to construct the author index. I tried for some time by replacing all the tblusers entry in the script to tblmetaauthors but I am still not be able to make it. The index is empty.

The metadata information usually is static for the article it relates to. This means that the author information may change, but the metadata for previous submissions does not, as preservation of that info.
However, the author index is created from the users table, not metadata table, because there lies the most current information about the author. If for some reason the co-authors are not being added to the users table there may be a browser incompatibility. I believe they are added to the users table as well. Kevin should confirm or deny this.

I did not use the xmlimport feature for it would have taken me longer to create that for each issue. I use the system to feed previous issues, and update the author id's in the respective tables to solve the index problem. Also, only published articles create the index.

Good luck,

Thanks for your reply.

I see.

It is because we are actually switching from static html to OJS. Authors only commit to submit the paper but not having the account. If an author must be associated with a user account, it would be a problem.

Deleting the user account is possible, however, we would like to maintain the Author Index. Does anybody have any idea on this issue?

Thanks

Henry

Postby kevin » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:39 pm

2. Is it true that, users in the tblusers must be present in order to show the name in the author index?

It is true that the system currently requires all authors to be present in the users table. This is used to link the same author across multiple submissions to a single person.

The setting at this moment is Php 5.0 mysql 4.13beta with apache 2.0.50 on a windows 2003 server. The technical administrator in my workplace ask me to use the built in SMTP virtual server in IIS 6 for OJS email sending. I would like to know what do I need to set in this case so as to make the things work smooth....?

I can't help you with IIS, but I believe on Windows there is a php.ini configuration setting to specify an smtp server to send mail through. Check the PHP documentation for details.
kevin

Author Index

Postby ramon » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:14 am

Dear Guest (not sure if it was henrylo)

To avoid conflict with authors and if you have a medium-size editorial team (5 to 10 people, not necessarily working exclusively for your journal), you could take on the responsibility of creating and updating user accounts.

This will make your editorial task a bit more demanding, as well as cumbersome, for you will have to receive, through any type of digital media, all your articles and author info.

Some editors perfer to start this way, then, once the journal is online users begin to develop a culture for online publishing.

Sometimes it is more of a fear of change than lack of knowledge or training.

Hope this helps.
ramon

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion