OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Open Access and OJS and abstracts

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Open Access and OJS and abstracts

Postby jwnelson » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:06 pm

When I set OJS to allow open access to the journal it still requires users to log in to view the abstract (we do not have articles up yet). Is there a setting I am missing that allows people to view open access content without registering and logging in to an account?

Also, is there a way to require subscriptions to read articles but allow anyone to view abstracts?

For instance, we'd like our abstracts to be viewable by anyone, without registering or logging in, and without subscriptions, but we'd like full articles to require a subscription.

Will I need to hack OJS like the JMIR hack?

Thanks for any help!

Sincerely,
John W. Nelson
jwnelson

Postby asmecher » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:58 pm

Hi John,

OJS can do this without modifications. If you don't want users to require registration to read abstracts, look up the settings in page 4 of the journal's Setup. Depending on your version of OJS, you should see a setting titled "Users must be registered and log in to view open access content." Make sure this setting is disabled.

This way, you can configure your journal for subscriptions, but abstracts will be open access and registration won't be required to view them.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby jwnelson » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:43 pm

Alec,

I do not seem able to find this option under Journal Management-> Setup -> 4. Management.

There are some options under Journal Management -> Setup -> 2.6 Security/Access Settings -- but nothing quite like that.

I am running version 2.1.1.0. Is it possible that, since the articles do not have PDFs uploaded yet, OJS views the abstracts as the content?
jwnelson

Postby asmecher » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:04 pm

Hi John,

In version 2.1.1, make sure that your settings are configured as follows:
  • 2.6 Site access: Choose "Unregistered users can view the journal site."
  • 2.6 Article Access: Choose "Unregistered users can view the full text of published articles.".
  • Under 4.3 Online Access Management, ensure that Subscriptions are enabled.
  • As Editor, make sure each issue's articles and the issue itself are configured properly for either subscriptions or open access, as required.
Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby jwnelson » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:41 pm

So, that means I can not have the Abstract be open access and the full text be subscription based, yes?

In this example, I have to either have both subscription-based or both open access?

There do not seem to be separate options in the article settings itself for abstract and full-text.

Sincerely,
John W. Nelson
jwnelson

Return to OJS Technical Support