OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Disabling blind review

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Disabling blind review

Postby sasutton » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:40 am

It seems that one of the basic defaults of the OJS is that the peer review process is always blind. This is not actually the case. We have two journals, one that is blind reviewed and another that is not. As far as I can tell, there is no mechanism at the individual journal level to suppress links to information regarding the blind review process. While it is really not a problem with reviewers (we can 'train' them), I am getting questions from authors submitting to the journal without blind review who read the journal's formatting template that provides information on formatting the author's name and contact information on the title page and links to contradictory system information about blind review. If I cannot suppress links out to pages describing blind review, is there a way through the administrative interface that I have missed for modifying the system text to soften its impact?

Stuart
sasutton

Postby asmecher » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:17 am

Hi Stuart,

There are a few places that Reviewers get instructions from the system:
  • The email templates, which can be customized on a per-journal basis
  • The reviewer instructions, which can be customized on a per-journal basis
  • The help files, which are shared across the entire installation.
If the help files are causing confusion, you might consider changing the wording to something neutral, and allowing the other sources of information to provide specific details. The help file in question is "help/en_US/editorial/topic/000044.xml".

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby elhay » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:43 am

Hi Alec

Is there a way if I can actually suppress or remove the links which say "Ensuring a blind review" on the author submission pages, rather than using the help pages to address this issue?

thanks
elhay

Postby asmecher » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:36 am

Hi elhay,

The locale key responsible for the text "Ensuring a Blind Review" is "reviewer.article.ensuringBlindReview", and it appears in the following templates:
  • templates/author/submit/step3.tpl
  • templates/author/submit/step4.tpl
  • templates/reviewer/submission.tpl
  • templates/sectionEditor/submission/peerReview.tpl
Search for the locale key in those files, and remove the surrounding link code.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby elhay » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:50 pm

Thanks a lot, Alec. That sounds fine. I'll try that right away.
Thanks again.
elhay

Return to OJS Technical Support