OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Login Problems

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Login Problems

Postby zulfi » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:03 pm

I cannot login after initial install... keeps going back to the same page. http://kwiktax.dnsalias.com . Info.php can be viewed @ http://kwiktax.dnsalias.com/info.php . Also have the // issue in URL. Running Win Svr 2003/IIS 6/PHP 5.x/MySQL 5.x. Pl advise. Thanks in advance. Zulfiquar
zulfi

Update

Postby zulfi » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:49 pm

Took down everything! Installed Apache 2.x; re-installed MySQL & PHP; same problem! PHP/MySQL connectivity is confirmed. Users table in ojs shows login time-stamp. Still not moving beyond the login page though. So now I have W2K3/Apache/MySQL/PHP.
zulfi

Postby asmecher » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:21 pm

Hi zulfi,

Some users who connect to the Internet via a proxy farm have reported that disabling the session_check_ip option in config.inc.php has corrected login issues like you describe.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Did not working

Postby zulfi » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:53 pm

That did not work. Zulfiquar
zulfi

Postby ItsDan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:56 am

I am experiencing an identical problem to the original poster. Was there ever a resolution to this issue?
ItsDan

Postby asmecher » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:01 am

Hi Dan,

Did you try the above fix, and have you checked that cookies are enabled in your browser? You can check cookie support at http://www.html-kit.com/tools/cookietester/. If you've moved an OJS installation around on your server, you may find that an older cookie is overriding the new one; try deleting all cookies called OJSSID.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby ItsDan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:20 pm

I've reinstalled PHP, MySQL, and OJS. FYI I'm running OJS 2.1.1 on php 5.2.1, MySQL 5.0, and IIS5. I've disabled the Path_Info feature (so it is using GET parameters for navigation).

I attempt to login, but it is directed right back to
/index.php?journal=index&page=login

No error message at all. I've disabled cookie filtering, added my site to my trusted zone (which in IE disables cookie 'permission' checks) and tried it in both IE6 and FireFox.
ItsDan

Postby ItsDan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:38 pm

I should add, if I DO provide a bad password, it notifies me with an error message.
ItsDan

Postby ItsDan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:51 pm

I was digging around in the code and found that you use the built in PHP session functions. In doing experiments of my own I found that sessions were not setup correctly. To your other Windows/IIS users please note the follow comment in the php.ini file:

; Argument passed to save_handler. In the case of files, this is the path
; where data files are stored. Note: Windows users have to change this
; variable in order to use PHP's session functions.

I have since fixed this and confirmed that PHP's session functions are working correctly. The login screen's behavior however has not changed.

Sorry for all the edits/updates. I also wanted to let you know that according to firefox a cookie of name OJSSID is being created when I attempt to login.
ItsDan

Postby ItsDan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:08 pm

Also the SessionManager constructor is correctly identifying that I have an existing session. Can you point me to which block of code would be calling the session manager in order to use it for the login process?
ItsDan

Postby asmecher » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:08 pm

Hi Dan,

This is unusual -- we've got lots of users running on Windows platforms without these sorts of problems. You'll have to do some digging around in the login process to see what's happening. Does the OJSSID cookie path and URL match your server's path and URL? Have you tried deleting all OJSSID cookies and logging in again?

Also, have you checked your PHP error log to see if anything has shown up there?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
---
asmecher

Postby ItsDan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:09 pm

The cookie looks fine, and as I stated the SessionManager class is locating the cookie, so it's not a cookie issue.
ItsDan

Postby asmecher » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:15 pm

Hi Dan,

The block of code responsible for validating logins is the "login" function in classes/security/Validation.inc.php. See what you can turn up with a few debugging "echo" statements there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
---
asmecher

Postby ItsDan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:26 pm

Alec,

Great thanks. Working a different angle I've been going through LoginHandler.inc.php. I haven't narrowed down the exact cause yet, however on line ~63, the Validation::login() call, I added the following:

Code: Select all
$user = Validation::login(Request::getUserVar('username'), Request::getUserVar('password'), $reason, Request::getUserVar('remember') == null ? false : true);
echo "Validation result: " . ($user !== false); exit;

And I got what appears to be the correct screen. I'm working on the assumption that it is incorrectly redirecting me. Let me know if you have more insight.

Also:

The user appears to be validating correctly, and the following line is called by the login handler:

Request::redirect(null, 'user');
ItsDan

Postby ItsDan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:38 pm

It appears the next bit is okay too, here's some output from debugging code in the Request::redirect() function:

Journal Path:
Page: user
OP:
Path:
Params:
Anchor:
Final URL: http://www.egilman.com/journal/index.ph ... &page=user
ItsDan

Next

Return to OJS Technical Support