OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Question from a Newbie: Average Installation Timeline?

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Question from a Newbie: Average Installation Timeline?

Postby generative » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:31 pm

I am new to OCS and will be installing and configuring it for the first time on behalf of an academic organization in which I am a member (but for whom I will be doing this as a contractor). The organization would like to enable paper submission, tracking, review and acceptance through the system and possibly allow registration through the site for their annual conference.

I've programmed numerous websites before in HTML and some PHP (plus one e-commerce site with Miva Merchant) and have a moderate level of technical expertise. I realize there is no such thing as a "typical" installation as every one is unique in some way, but is there a way to reasonably estimate how long this might take to bring to life? I am primarily looking to determine a way to estimate cost, but secondarily want to get a sense for the total timeline.

On a related note, if I wanted to subcontract parts of this development out to more experience individuals, is this the place to do that?

Thanks so much!

- Matt
generative

Postby asmecher » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:16 pm

Hi Matt,

We've designed OCS so that the technical expertise required to run it is minimal -- it should take a few minutes to set up and everything should be available via the UI from there on in. If you want to customize the look, you'll need to know CSS.

OCS 2.0 is a fresh release, so we don't have a lot of history to fall back on for concrete examples; however, OJS 2.x is an established product that uses much of the same code, so perhaps looking to it for answers would help. While some have heavily customized OJS to suit them, most journals have very limited technical resources and have often been publishing for years.

I'd suggest installing OCS 2.0 and exploring it, if you haven't done so already; that might answer your question.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support