OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Help needed in customizing the OCS site.

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Help needed in customizing the OCS site.

Postby dinesh » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:20 pm

hello,

Please let me know how i can do the following.

1. I run a single conference, only one instance. So when i type the conference web site address, it must go to the scheduled conference only. How to do that? Or, alternately, how can I eliminate the "current conference" link and text in the body?

2. How do I insert/delete my own links in (i). Conference Information section
(ii). Header navigation (iii) sidebar navigation.

Please help ASAP. this is urgent.

thanks and regards
dinesh

Postby asmecher » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:21 pm

Hi Dinesh,

1. You'll have to modify the code slightly in order to redirect to a particular scheduled conference. I'd suggest editing the "index" function in pages/conference/ConferenceHandler.inc.php with something like:
Code: Select all
Request::redirect(null, 'scheduledConferencePathGoesHere', 'index');

2. Header navigation links can be added in:
(i) templates/schedConf/index.tpl
(ii) templates/common/header.tpl
(iii) templates/common/sidebar.tpl

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Thanks a lot

Postby dinesh » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:10 pm

Dear Alec,

Thanks a lot for the help. I do not know PHP, but I could some how dig into those codes with your lead. The first one worked, the next ones i am trying to figure out how to add new links.
I believe we can link to some static html page also.

Thanks a lot, you people are doing a great work.

regards

Dinesh
dinesh

Postby asmecher » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:42 pm

Hi Dinesh,

The template files are more or less HTML, except that they have Smarty code embedded using the { and } symbols. For example, if you look at templates/common/header.tpl, you'll see the nav bar:
<div id="navbar">
        <ul class="menu">
                <li><a href="{url page="index"}">{translate key="navigation.home"}</a></li>
                <li><a href="{url page="about"}">{translate key="navigation.about"}</a></li>
                {if $isUserLoggedIn}
                        <li><a href="{url page="admin"}">{translate key="navigation.administration"}</a></li>
                {/if}
                <li><a href="{url page="search"}">{translate key="navigation.search"}</a></li>
                (...etc...)
Where you see {translate key="something"}, it means that OCS will need to get the piece of text called "something" from the locale file. The main locale file is locale/en_US/locale.xml. This is done to support other languages once translations become available. You don't need to use the translation calls or URL function -- you can just insert a line between the <ul class="menu"> and closing </ul>, something like:
                <li><a href="http://my-site-url.com/some/path/doc.html">This is a custom link</a></li>
You shouldn't have to do anything more than just modify the template file and reload the page in your browser; if nothing changes, you might need to check file permissions in your cache directory to make sure the web server can modify files there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support