OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Installation Problem

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Installation Problem

Postby ariadatexts » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:19 am

Hi there,

I'm interested in migrating an online journal at my university to OJS but am having problems trying to install it.

My set up: Debian GNU/Linux; PHP 5.2.2; MySQL 5.0.41; Apache 2.2.3.

So I extracted the PHP into a directory, changed the owner of config.inc.php and cache/ to ariada:www-data and changed the permissions to 664 and 775 respectively.

I then tried pointing my browser (Konqueror) to the index.php page. It said that it didn't recognise the MIME type of the response. So I tried with Firefox which gave the same result. (Unfortunately I can't remember [or reproduce] what it said the MIME type was; though it may have been something like PHTML?)

So I tried running $ php tools/install.php instead. It complained about exceeding its memory allowance.

So I opened up config.inc.php in my text editor and started filling it in. During this step I also created a MySQL database (but with no tables).

Now when I run # php tools/install.php (as root) I don't get the memory error, but I get this error:

<h1>DB Error: Table 'ariadaojs.plugin_settings' doesn't exist</h1>OJS: DB Error: Table 'ariadaojs.plugin_settings' doesn't exist

(I also now get this error if I open the index.php page in my browser.)

So I tried looking in the source code for the required database schema (hoping to be able to create the database manually) but it doesn't seem to be obvious what tables/fields are required ($ grep -Rn "CREATE" ojs/* returns quite a few things; and I found a function called getSQL() but it seems to make quite a few nested calls and its really very difficult trying to follow the flow of execution in a language I haven't used for ages!)

Can anyone suggest how I may be able to install OJS?

Cheers.
ariadatexts

More Problems

Postby ariadatexts » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:18 am

OK, I've been fiddling around with this and it seems that the hack which finally made it work was altering the php.ini file and increasing the memory_limit option to "12M" (from "8M"). This made it possible to install with the Web front-end, I guess because the PHP memory error was making it return a half-baked page.
ariadatexts

Postby asmecher » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:50 pm

Hi ariadatexts,

Unfortunately, PHP has been known to behave somewhat unpredictably when the memory limit is exceeded -- particularly with Apache 2.x. However, as long as you're running with a memory_limit of 12M or 16M, OJS should work fine.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support