OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

what about a PKP CMS for academics?

General inquiries about the PKP.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, vgabler, barbarah, John

Forum rules
Feel free to post general inquiries about the PKP Here. We'll also post notes of interest from time to time. You may also want to check out the PKP blog.

what about a PKP CMS for academics?

Postby ozp » Sat May 19, 2007 9:07 pm

ever tought about making a CMS for academics institutions?

some features:

member registrations
groups
foruns and mail list
news, links, events
votes for next directors board
integrate with OJS and OCS
support to insert many academics institutions like OJS and OCS does for journals and events
mission, and static content

regards
ozp

Postby asmecher » Wed May 23, 2007 9:56 am

Hi ozp,

Thanks for the suggestion! At the moment, we have our hands full with the current PKP suite, but we do have tentative plans to split the PKP platform (i.e. the shared codebase between the three major products) into a separate source code tree to improve maintainability. This will also give us a major starting point for additional projects, should demand and manpower allow it.

There are also many features that OJS and OCS in particular touch on, such as discussion forums (in the form of the threaded article discussion feature) and mailing lists (in the form of the Notify Users feature) that could be fleshed out much further; in these situations, it's important to choose between two approaches: integrate or build.

Since there are so many excellent open-source forums, CMSs, mailing list servers, etc., the best approach might be to foster closer integration between these systems rather than developing them from scratch. This approach knits the open-source community together and keeps the PKP team from spreading itself too thin.

In any case, a CMS seems like a natural fit with OJS/OCS to provide a complete website. Some users have interlinked products like Drupal with OJS, which has worked well without any particular concessions to interoperability. We'll definitely be spending some time looking at the best ways to round out our offerings, most likely by streamlining integration with other proven and popular FOSS systems.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby ozp » Wed May 23, 2007 4:48 pm

hello asmecher!

I got your point

My dream is to use drupal at my site.
I use xoops at the moment and I have not enough resources to migrate

Ill look out for ways to integrate PKP tools with CMS, and I think the better way should be with LDAP

regards

Oliver
ozp

Return to General Discussion