OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

XML import feature issues/suggestions

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

XML import feature issues/suggestions

Postby asmecher » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:24 pm

Hello OJS team,

I'm working on converting some paper journals to the OJS using the XML import feature, and had a few comments about the import process that might be helpful:

- The DTD isn't valid. The <section>, <number>, and <title> tags each have two separate definitions -- particularly <section>, which is once defined as a #PCDATA and once as being able to contain tags.

- The DTD could match the OJS's requirements more accurately. For example (correct me if I'm wrong) the DTD specifies that the author email is a required tag, while the OJS doesn't seem to require it. This applies to many of the required tags -- <date_submitted>, <date_published>, <abstract>, etc., all of which are nullable in the OJS database.

- In your XML example, one tag contains the text "N/A", but I think it would be much more conceptually clean if this tag were just omitted entirely. (I might have misunderstood why N/A is used.)

- The XML document structure would benefit from the use of attributes rather than just tags with #PCDATA contents. For example, <section order="2">...</section> rather than <section><section_order>2</section_order>...</section>.

Thanks,
Alec Smecher
alec (lives at) smecher (a dot) bc (another dot) ca
asmecher

Another couple of notes

Postby asmecher » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:16 am

Hi,

Another couple of notes on the import feature...

If the path supplied in the <pdf>/path/to/file.pdf</pdf> (same for <html> etc) is a path on the server rather than a fully-qualified URL, as described in the sample XML, the preview feature will display bad links to PDFs. I'd suggest adding a quick check to see if it's a path or a remote URL, and if it's a path, just display it rather than providing a link.

Also, it would be nice to have some error checking on the import feature in case of a bad URL or path or some other error, such as creating the target file. Right now it's a little tough to track down the cause of something going wrong when the program carries cheerfully along.

Sorry to carp on about this or that little gripe -- the system's very impressive and I'm looking forward to exploring it more. Excellent work!

Thanks,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion