OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Workflow

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Workflow

Postby DavidRad » Tue May 01, 2007 5:38 am

Is there any documentaton or chart for OCS2 workflow? Specifically, what is the proper procedure for setting up a six day conference with an average of eight individual events per day AND the submission process for each event (which does not have any particular peer review, for now ONLY the website administrator will be participating in populating the conference website).

For example;

Login as administrator --> User Home --> Site Administrator --> Hosted Conferences --> Create Conference --> go back to Conferences --> Cuurent Conferences: Conference Tracks --> Create Track --> ?

At the "Create Track" point I'm kind of lost. For that matter, is a "Track" an individual event within the specified conference day? And, do events get added under a "Track"?

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a clear workflow OR better yet I may just be too green to clearly understand the terms used, i.e. "Conference Tracks", "Scheduled Conference Setup". The later is for one specific conference OR a scheduled event within a specific conference?

Sorry for the ramble, though I would be happy to help in any way I can, i.e. creating chart, documentation, etc. OCS2 is a very clean and well supported app that has great capabilities. I hope that I can use these capabilities correctly, staying within the OCS2 schema.

ThanKs again for ANY direction,

David
DavidRad

Postby asmecher » Tue May 01, 2007 10:51 am

Hi David,

For conferences, "tracks" are used to organize presentations into similar groupings. For example, a series of presentations could be organized into a track called "Library Science". When an author submits a paper, they choose the most appropriate track for it to appear in.

One point that may cause confusion with OCS 2.0 is the distinction between Conferences and Scheduled Conferences. Since Conferences are often recurring events, we've written OCS 2.0 to support this explicitly. For example, you can create a Conference called "Public Knowledge Project Conference", and then create several Scheduled Conferences (e.g. 2007, 2008, and so on). Once you've created a Scheduled Conference, you'll have access to the typical management features e.g. Timeline.

We're working hard on the code for the initial release; you can expect documentation to follow shortly thereafter.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby DavidRad » Tue May 01, 2007 1:28 pm

Thanks for clarification
DavidRad

Return to OCS Technical Support