OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

How can i change the OJS to Persian language?

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

How can i change the OJS to Persian language?

Postby ali » Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:30 am

Hi
I am iranian and want to implement the OJS in persian(farsi) language.
As you may know persian is a right to left lang like Arabic.

By the way, do i can search with persian character through Unicode system that this package works based on?

I apologize for mistakes in writing english?
please help me?
thanks in advance.
ali

Postby ali » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:25 pm

Hi
I am waiting for you...
:roll:
ali

Re: How can i change the OJS to Persian language?

Postby kevin » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:50 pm

I am iranian and want to implement the OJS in persian(farsi) language.

You would need to translate the localization files (in the "locale" directory). The document docs/EXTRA has some information on this.

By the way, do i can search with persian character through Unicode system that this package works based on?

As far as I know, searching articles in Unicode should work.
kevin

Thanks

Postby ali » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:55 am

Hi kevin
Thanks
As you explained at EXTRA document, i change apache setting in add charset section but when we are watching OJS in browser and go to VIEW menu then ENCODING, it is UNICODE.

but the source of php files has saved in windows-1252 encoding that i change all files to Unicode (all files inside OJS)
and when i make some change in localization files( that i copied from EN directory and is FA (FARSI) now) cause some problem at work.

The main problem is Login that after enter username and passwork then i see a blank page(white!)

Do i made some mistakes such as changing all files to UTF-8 that i must changes just Local files to UTF-8?

And finally, I am ready for any help in developing Farsi language for your project. Beacause i work at university in iran and collaborate in publishing some engineering journal?

thanks again
i am looking forward to hearing from you as soon as. :wink:
ali

Re: Thanks

Postby kevin » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:13 pm

The main problem is Login that after enter username and passwork then i see a blank page(white!)

Do i made some mistakes such as changing all files to UTF-8 that i must changes just Local files to UTF-8?

There should be no need to change any files other than the localization files. I assume the system was working correctly before you made your changes? If so, perhaps you have made a syntax error in editing one of the files.

And finally, I am ready for any help in developing Farsi language for your project. Beacause i work at university in iran and collaborate in publishing some engineering journal?

Thanks, we'd be happy to add Farsi to OJS if you are successful in converting it.
kevin

Postby ali » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:31 am

I saved as just related localization file in two ways:
1-from system default 1252 (iso-8859-1) to UTF-8, that caused i couldn't login by a username nad pass.
2-from system default to 1256(arabic windows), that works well but some browser can read persian font.

In my opinion, the problem is in mySQL where the codepages define.
If this problem is right,Where can i add a new charset or code page?
Do you have any idea about that?
ali

Postby kevin » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:08 pm

Assuming you are not using a username/password with non-ASCII characters in it, I don't think that MySQL could cause this.

Perhaps it is something your text editor is doing to the file. I know in the past this has occurred with other users, although it normally resulted in "headers already sent by..." PHP errors (e.g., as in this topic).
kevin

Postby ali » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:07 am

Hi
I did all of things you tell me but i didn't get any result and have the problem awith login. I even changed the type of charset in "english-iso-8859-1.inc.php" inside PHPMYAdmin.
One things is that when itry to change my language at site pages,it seem that the empty row add to the top of the page and when i set the lang to english or another type, it get back to normal state?

Do you have any idea?
ali

Postby ali » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:08 am

Also I read all of posts about login problem and couldn't find any new things in solving it.
By the way i use mysql version 4.0.20 and PHP 5.0.2.
In fact i installed Apache2triad package that include php,mysql,python,...
Please help me?
ali

Unable to Login

Postby ramon » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:45 am

Ali,

The utf-8 conversion must be done before the installation is made or else you will have problems. As I stated in previous posts, you need to change the variable HTML_CHARSET to utf-8 (version 1.1.8 defaults to this already!) as well as save the files as utf-8 (the only tool that has done this correctly for me is Dreamweaver's Page Properties) and send it to the server..

Then you perform the installation.

What you could do now is remove the password in your database...

PS: use the lost password feature to see if any strange characters are being sent... (you may need to alter the encoding of your email software!)
ramon

Postby ali » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:30 am

Ramon
thanks
but i examinated several ways to solve the problems such as:
I uninstalled Apache2Triad and install apache2.0.52 - php 5 - mysql 4.1.8 phpmyadmin 2.6.0-pl3 separately because i read some article about upgading for MYSQL to new version that compeletely support utf-8.
Of course i discoverd some changes in MYSQL especialy in first page that show languages to UTF-8 instead of ISO... .

By the way i tested the ways that you tell me but i have the same problem. On of the messeges that i always see at header of the pages is:

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at D:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\ojs2\index.php:1) in D:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\ojs2\include\session.inc.php on line 64
Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at D:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\ojs2\index.php:1) in D:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\ojs2\include\session.inc.php on line 64

or i see the messeges that report me warning inside function.inc.php. It almost printed at top of the pages.
:?
OH,I REALLY CONFUSED.
please help me ?
ali

Error Messages

Postby ramon » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:15 pm

Ali,

Those error messages have been solved in previous post. Search the forum for session_start and you will see post such as this post.

You must check the files listed in the error message for carriage returns, extra and empty lines at the beginning and end of the file...

Kevin also has given you another post with similar problems in a previous answer here..
ramon

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:43 am

Ramon
I removed all of characters you tell me like extra or blank line at the beginning and end of files,but i didn't get any result and i received error messege when i changed localization files to UTF-8.
In my opinion the problem is in mysql and the instructions that we uses for working with mysql probably, Because at first i use MYSQL 4.0.5 and while log in i had got the blank page but now when i upgraded MYSQL to new version(4.1.8) that support UTF-8 completely, those error messege convert to session error inside db or session.inc.php file or etc .

Thanks

Postby ali » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:50 am

Ramon
I removed all of characters you tell me like extra or blank line at the beginning and end of files,but i didn't get any result and i received error messege when i changed localization files to UTF-8.
In my opinion the problem is in mysql and the instructions that we uses for working with mysql probably, Because at first i use MYSQL 4.0.5 and while log in i had got the blank page but now when i upgraded MYSQL to new version("4.1.8") that support UTF-8 completely, those error messege convert to session error inside db or session.inc.php file or etc .

Thanks
ali

Postby ali » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:59 pm

Hi fellows
I solved my problem about log in at site when i try to set language to FARSI that i created. i save the localization files in UTF-8 inside EMEDITOR (you know that is an excellent editor) but an option selected default that was BOM(BYTE ORDER MARK) and it is unicode signature and must be disable as saving as.

good luck
ali

Next

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion