OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Counter Stats won't reset or record

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Counter Stats won't reset or record

Postby AndyP » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:45 am

We have the counter statistics enabled across 28 Journals - it seems to have stopped recording any clicks. It also appears to have some stats for 1970, which don't show up when you browse the log file.

* » Browse Log
* » Journal Report 1 (R2): Full-Text Article Requests by Month and Journal 2007 1970
* » Clear Log

Clearing the log has no effect. Any suggestions?
AndyP

Postby asmecher » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:59 am

Hi AndyP,

Check the file permissions on plugins/generic/counter/log.txt -- if the web server cannot write to this file, no clicks will be recorded and you won't be able to clear the log. Check for a blank line in the log file; if you've accidentally entered one (i.e. while viewing the log file) it may be interpreted as the Unix "epoch" date in 1970.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby AndyP » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:22 am

Thanks

Couldn't identify a blank line, but changing the permissions did the trick.

Andy
AndyP

Postby asmecher » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:44 am

Hi Andy,

Glad to hear it. I'm not sure what would cause 1970 to show up as a year -- it indicates that there's an entry in the log for which the date can't be parsed. If you have a chance, please investigate it -- e.g. by putting some debugging output into plugins/generic/counter/LogEntryDAO.inc.php in the "parse" function to display the entry for which $entryYear is 1970. Otherwise, it should be safe to ignore.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby AndyP » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:50 am

Hi Alec

Clearing the log files got rid of 1970 so I'm afraid I can't investigate - if it happens again I'll follow your advice and let you know what happens.

Thanks again

Andy
AndyP

Return to OJS Technical Support