OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

What PHP debugger do you like the best?

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Which debugger do you prefer?

Gubed PHP Debugger
No votes
PDT Project
No votes
NuSphere PhpED
No votes
Notepad (none of those sissy GUIs for me!)
33%
Other
67%

Total votes : 3

What PHP debugger do you like the best?

Postby shimrah » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:07 am

I'm just starting to tease apart some of the OJS PHP, and would like to install a debugger. Any favorites that people can suggest?

Oh, and I'm looking for something that runs in XP. :oops:

Thanks!
shimrah

Postby asmecher » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:14 am

Hi Shimrah,

I'm sorry to report that myself and most developers I've asked have resorted to the lowest form of debugging when it comes to PHP -- "echo" statements. The development toolset for PHP is a little slim and there's certainly no standard debugging tool across hosts. However, if you have a good tabbed editor and make liberal use of the "find" tool (e.g. I use "find" and "grep" with backticks in a Linux environment to jump directly to editing the file that implements the someFunctionName) you should be OK. Perhaps someone here can suggest a good, simple text editor for Windows with syntax highlighting support and possibly regular expressions...

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

re: What PHP debugger do you like the best?

Postby mj » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:14 pm

Hi all,

To follow-up on this comment, I'd like to mention that both Juan and I use Eclipse with the PHPEclipse plugin to do our OJS development. Both are open source (free), and are quite powerful when it comes to handling PHP projects like OJS.

Some of the nice features include strong CVS integration, so it takes care of updates/commits nicely in the GUI; as well, project-wide regex-capable searching is useful; as is code-folding and method/property auto-completion. Apparently it has an integrated debugger with breakpoints and things as well, but I've never used it (I'll openly admit to echo statements; Juan prefers writing to the error log).

It's written in Java (I believe), so it's available cross-platform - definitely on Windows XP, but the downside is that it takes a bit of a hefty computer to run it. Definitely worth a try if you're looking for a decent PHP GUI, and certainly the best I've ever seen.

MJ Suhonos
OJS Development Team
mj
Site Admin

agree

Postby jalperin » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:53 am

What MJ said about me above was true. I've used PHPEclipse on both OS X and Win XP and I've really enjoyed it. Adding to the list of features I find very useful are Auto-complete for text (Ctrl+.) and the 'take me where a method was defined' (put cursor on method name and hit F3).

Juan Alperin
Last edited by jalperin on Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
jalperin

Postby shimrah » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:17 am

Sounds good. I'll try it out.
shimrah

Return to OJS Technical Support