You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Modifying OJS classes and PHP/OJS caching

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
The Public Knowledge Project Support Forum is moving to http://forum.pkp.sfu.ca

This forum will be maintained permanently as an archived historical resource, but all new questions should be added to the new forum. Questions will no longer be monitored on this old forum after March 30, 2015.

Modifying OJS classes and PHP/OJS caching

Postby rmichael » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:07 am

I'm beginning to modify an OJS installation that is in need of help. Unfortunately, I need to diagnose the production server (until I have time to mirror a development server) with minimal impact , so I'm inserting error_log calls in various places.

However, the changes aren't taking effect immediately. Has PHP (or OJS) cached compiled forms of the classes? I notice cache related directives in config.inc.php, are those related to an OJS specific cache or PHP behaviour or both?

Complicating matters slightly, I don't have the ability to restart the server (apache) itself, but I do have file permissions on (most of) the OJS installation tree, with the exception of cache/_db/*.

Are there files I can simply remove/delete from the OJS tree that will force PHP (or OJS?) to recompile/recache the classes? There only discussion of caching in the Technical Reference is the is one line comment on cache/ in the File Structure section (page 8).

Specifically, I've modified ojs/classes/core/Request.inc.php.

Postby asmecher » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:31 am

Hi Richard,

There's nothing in the OJS codebase that would cause a change in a PHP file not to be reflected immediately, and as long as file dates are correct, any PHP caches installed on the server (e.g. Zend Accelerator) should notice that a new file has arrived and recompile it. I'd suggest double-checking that you're changing the right file -- it's easy to get confused, for example, when modifying classes/submission/sectionEditor/SectionEditorSubmissionDAO.inc.php vs. classes/submission/editor/EditorSubmissionDAO.inc.php. If you have a specific question about the code, feel free to ask.

Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada

Return to OJS Development